Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help... Concerned

(18 Posts)
gemsparkle84 Mon 29-Jun-15 10:38:03

I have just had a BFP on the first day of my missed period... Day 34 of on average 33 day cycle. I am thrilled. My only concern is I am currently on holiday... I estimate I am 15-18 dpo and as I was not expecting to conceive this cycle (we have had a few unsuccessful cycles) I have indulged a little. I'm talking a couple of bottles of beer here and there, a couple of glasses of wine here and there and the odd cocktail. Strangely enough the last 3 days I had a bit of a feeling and I haven't touched a drop but I still can't help my worry for consuming alcohol at all the past couple of weeks. This is my first pregnancy and a dearly wanted baby, I just want everything to be perfect. Does anyone else have similar experience? I'm so worried...

TheTravellingLemon Mon 29-Jun-15 10:45:01

Congratulations and please don't be worried. It's way too early for
your alcohol intake to impact and now you know, you can adjust your habits smile. Have you been taking your folic acid? If not it might be worth trying to get hold of some. Congratulations again flowers

5YearsTime Mon 29-Jun-15 10:47:46

Yes exactly the same thing and she's absolutely fine. Baby doesn't share your blood supply yet!

HazleNutt Mon 29-Jun-15 10:49:09

You will be fine. I would guess that most women, unless they are not drinking at all, would have had some alcohol before they find your they're pregnant.

The statement that you want everything to be perfect is a little worrying though, it sounds like you might be stressing yourself out during this pregnancy trying to achieve that. Can I recommend a book? This might help you to relax and enjoy. www.amazon.co.uk/Expecting-Better-Conventional-Pregnancy-Wisdom/dp/1409152065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435571316&sr=8-1&keywords=expecting+better

scarednoob Mon 29-Jun-15 10:57:12

you'll be fine.

I think if you asked for a show of hands on who DIDN'T enjoy themselves until they found out, it would be far quicker to count than those who did.

congratulations!!!

Plateofcrumbs Mon 29-Jun-15 11:04:51

I spent months drinking very little or nothing during the 'two week wait' whilst TTC. Of course the month I thought 'sod this for a lark' and went a bit mad with a couple of evenings of very heavy cocktail consumption was the month of the BFP! You will be fine, it is very very very common indeed!

TheTravellingLemon Mon 29-Jun-15 11:10:11

Plateofcrumbs me too grin. Twice shockblush.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 29-Jun-15 11:19:08

I too find the 'I want everything to be perfect' a bit worrying. You may be setting yourself up for ante natal depression by having unrealistic standards. You will do something 'wrong' at some point. We all do.

Really, you have consumed very small amounts and your baby will be utterly fine. For a start, for the first week or so after fertilisation it is bouncing along your fallopian tube and has no contact with your blood supply. Nature is pretty clever - the tiny embryo is pretty self contained until the point where you miss a period and know you are pregnant so can be careful. smile

gemsparkle84 Mon 29-Jun-15 11:35:22

Thanks ladies. Well spotted... I do have very high levels of anxiety anyway, and this is yet another thing to worry about. I'm going to do my very best to be happy and relax... I'm so very thrilled and I guess any new Mummy is a little anxious, it just so happens I'm a natural worrier anyway.

Sleepybeanbump Mon 29-Jun-15 12:14:37

Mine (14w tomo) wasn't planned (happy tho) and I was drinking until I started suspecting at 7 weeks. When I mentioned it at hospital they couldn't have been more laid back about it.

Junosmum Mon 29-Jun-15 13:09:45

Firstly congratulations. Secondly enjoy the rest of your holiday without worry.

I drank more the weekend before I found out than I think I had in the previous 5 months since the start of the year. I'm sure it will be fine- they have a yolk sac they live off for the first few weeks and so little of your blood goes near them.

Baguettes Mon 29-Jun-15 13:20:24

You'll be fine. So will your baby. Congratulations!

MissTwister Mon 29-Jun-15 13:21:30

I spent months not drinking during 2 week wait then thought for various reasons that this one month I could not conceive. I drank shit loads of wine and got a BFP the next day! Doctor wasn't really bothered, he smirked. It was early days (4 weeks, 14 days after conception) when it is 'all or nothing.' If something harms the baby during this time you would miscarry.

MissTwister Mon 29-Jun-15 13:22:20

Sorry just realised what I wrote. I am not suggesting in any way that what you drank means you will potentially miscarry as the amounts were small, I was talking generally!!

gemsparkle84 Mon 29-Jun-15 13:34:36

It's ok miss twister I know what you meant xx smile

NickyEds Mon 29-Jun-15 13:37:27

Don't worry. With ds I ended up taking a pregnancy test because my hangover was disproportionate to the wine I'd drunk the night beforeblush. Mw at the time said it's a very common worry among newly pregnant women.

batfish Mon 29-Jun-15 13:56:42

Don't be worried, I was very drunk a week after conception and didn't know - many people don't know for weeks and they drink and take drugs and all sorts of things so I wouldn't worry about a few drinks on holiday especially as you have stopped as soon as you have a feeling you may be pregnant, I'm sure that if you are then all will be fine.

batfish Mon 29-Jun-15 13:57:36

Oh sorry I missed the bit where you said you actually are pregnant - congratulations!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now