Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is sparkling flavoured water ok to drink?

(9 Posts)
Frillsandspills Sun 28-Jun-15 14:30:39

I'm trying to cut down on sugary drinks such as coke and lemonade. I very rarely drink them anyway but it's the only thing that quenches my thirst in warm weather as I cannot stomach water, not sure why but ever since I was a toddler I've never liked it, so to make up for it I tend to use fruit cordials and dilute them as much as possible.

Anyway, when I'm really hot i tend to like something really fruity and fizzy to quench my thirst so I've been been drinking tescos sparkling flavoured spring water and I just wondered if this was better than drinking lemonade/coke.

I'm desperately trying to be as healthy as possible so I wondered if this was actually a healthier alternative or is it probably just as bad?

karbonfootprint Sun 28-Jun-15 14:32:50

Why not diet coke or lemonade? or iced tea? look at the label on the fizzy drinks, it will say how much sugar is in them. water isn't a good drink if your thirsty anyway.

Cornettoninja Sun 28-Jun-15 14:40:39

I think the carbonated bit is generally debatable with sparkling water because it's not great for your tooth enamel.

Flavoured waters are always going to be better than a coke, but unless you give up any flavourings completely there'll be sugars. You could try actual slices of fruit in water (lime, lemon, orange) but fruit is nice because it's made from natural sugar - so still sugar....

Personally I wouldn't over think it, but unless you're happy with plain water you might have to compromise on this one.

Do remember that we do require some sugar in our diets and a lot of energy is used growing a baby so it's not the worst thing in the world. I'm pretty sure low blood sugar has been linked to nausea in pregnancy so keep an eye on that.

TreeSparrow Sun 28-Jun-15 14:48:06

Just check the sugar content on the label. That would be easiest.

Flisspaps Sun 28-Jun-15 14:50:21

The flavoured sparkling spring water from Tesco is sugar free I think.

Please don't worry about it at all grin I lived on cloudy lemonade for the first 4 months with DD.

YY to low blood sugar being a cause of morning sickness - my midwife ordered me to have a stash of Mars bars around to grab whenever I felt sick. Worked a treat.

Purpleball Sun 28-Jun-15 14:58:17

I drink tons of flavoured water. I never thought of it being an issue. There's no caffeine or sugar in it. I do try to drink plain too though

Frillsandspills Sun 28-Jun-15 15:08:51

Ah thank you!
Someone told me diet coke was really bad to drink but I think I need to stop being so paranoid.

I went through a phase of eating really badly due to stress and extreme tiredness so ordered takeaways instead of making food from scratch so I told myself I'd made up for it now that I have more energy. I was just worried about fizzy drinks and such.

The idea of putting fruit in water is brilliant I didn't even think of that. I'll buy some lemon and limes. I've been suffering from headaches and I wasn't sure if I was a little dehydrated because some drinks I just can't take more than a few sips of but fizzy drinks in the summer are just so lovely! Just making sure it's not the worst thing to be drinking!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 28-Jun-15 15:10:59

It's fine!

chopsface Sun 28-Jun-15 15:31:02

I've gone off water completely since becoming Preg, a few sips and I feel sick! I have been able to drink water with either half a lemon or lime squeezed into it though bizarrely! But I've also been mainly drinking fruit juice and some fizzy drinks, not coke though can't stomach that! I'm not worrying about the sugar though, just keeping hydrated. Another tip that I've been given, though not tried, is a bit of fruit juice topped up with still or sparkling water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now