Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Maternity clothes

(16 Posts)
Donnakim Sun 28-Jun-15 14:11:11

I'm going home from town in a huff because not a single one of the high street clothes shops where I live carry any maternity clothing.

I'm trying to find stuff for work. Amazon have loads of t-shirts etc but I really need shirts, preferably cotton. I'm not a fan of buying clothes I've not tried on, so internet shopping isn't something I like.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Iloveonionchutney Sun 28-Jun-15 14:13:16

H&M do some, I had to go to a city centre to find any in high street stores but I got a few things in peacocks too.

Augustwedding Sun 28-Jun-15 14:14:03

You may have to put aside your hate of not trying stuff on as most mat ranges are now online. I found some stuff in mothercare, debenhams and h and m. However online new look, Asos, Jojo, asda, and gap have decent ranges.

EmzDisco Sun 28-Jun-15 14:19:08

Yes I find even in London most of the big high street stores don't carry their mat range in store, I guess it takes up too much space for relatively few sales. I've managed to find some in new look, and some really lame stuff in M&S, and mothercare have it in store.

I've found ASOS and new look best for good value mat stuff online, and actually just going a size up in normal ranges for tops has been quite good too. Got some nice non mat tops from warehouse, 'swing ' style vest tops seem to sit well over the bump!

frangipani13 Sun 28-Jun-15 14:19:42

I work in central London and practically none of the shops stock maternity wear, you're going to have to order online, try stuff on and return what doesn't fit. I've found asos is great, quality of h and m isn't great, seraphine or isabella Oliver if you're budget allows.

P0llyP0cketR0cket Sun 28-Jun-15 15:06:13

I've bought nearly everything from Topshop. Still in the size I would normally buy. I've had to buy different sizes in ASOS & New Look. ASOS & Topshop are particularly easy to order from & returns are free.

Chchchchanging Sun 28-Jun-15 15:11:44

Huge h&m and new look, mothercare are only in store stockists
For workwear I bought trousers online (next or Asos) and at 25 weeks with large bump wearing new look not mat cross over blouse in size 16, having been a 10 before
It's only really trousers you'd need for a while rest of stuff you're prob ok to about 27-30 wks

elderflowerlemonade Sun 28-Jun-15 15:13:25

Yep, maternity only exists online!

Mamas and Papas have a range of clothing. Very limited and quite expensive but will see you through your pregnancy!

austengirl Sun 28-Jun-15 16:43:02

I recommend JoJo, especially if you can get to one to try stuff on. In tops I've been true to size (normally 10-12 and wear a medium), certain styles of dress I'm a small or medium. I had good luck at H&M recently with non-maternity dresses that fit well, but depends on what you're looking for. John Lewis might have some Serephine or Isabella Oliver in the sale.

Frolicacid Sun 28-Jun-15 16:47:10

Asos stuff is fab, and pretty cheap. They have great sales. You can get it delivered and return for free through collect plus, which they have in most corner shops. It takes the hassle out of waiting for the postman or getting to the post office. They refund really quickly as well, so you can order a few sizes / styles to try and get your money back sharpish.

TreeSparrow Sun 28-Jun-15 16:51:37

Top shop in central London have maternity wear in the window right now.

Westfield has a few, M&S. Monsoon is good for dresses and trousers that may as well be maternity. Next do harem pants that are great.

Blackandwhitecat3 Sun 28-Jun-15 17:59:27

Red herring have maternity wear in debenhams, including workwear

Junosmum Sun 28-Jun-15 18:20:48

I've been to the Trafford Centre and Manchester city centre and maybe one shop had mat stuff. It drives me nuts!

Donnakim Sun 28-Jun-15 18:56:06

Gah! Well at least I know it's how things are rather than my local shops being rubbish. I will have to bite the bullet and go online.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations on where to look ladies!

Runningupthathill82 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:01:56

Asos is great, and cheap. I'm usually a topshop 10 and asos maternity size 10s are a good fit - on the big side, if anything.

Baguettes Sun 28-Jun-15 19:48:03

It's a pain in the tit, isn't it?

I also hate online shopping but have resigned myself to it with this pregnancy because clearly us preggos must not be allowed to shop in normal stores.

ASOS, New Look, Gap and Topshop are my staples.

Most stores that stock maternity ranges in their shops tell you this online and you can search for places near you. The Topshop website allows you to check stock in each store - VERY handy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now