Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Crazy question... Zoo?

(8 Posts)
Ladypug Sun 28-Jun-15 07:02:56

I'm sure ages ago I read that pregnant women shouldn't be around certain animals. Is this true? Was planning on going to the zoo today but not sure if I should...

AnythingNotEverything Sun 28-Jun-15 07:13:32

Zoos are fine. Use normal sensible hand washing techniques.

Pregnant women do have to be careful around new lambs. Can't remember why but that's quite a biggie.

Ladypug Sun 28-Jun-15 08:48:16

Thanks Anything smile

Rosenwyn1985 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:48:29

Goats, sheep and lizards are a no no due to risk of e-coli (I'm pretty sure that's it). We go to the local farm place and I just stand back at those animals. Zoo's are fine, just don't handle the animals if they have a petting area.

sebsmummy1 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:51:57

Newly born lambs are a risk because of toxoplasmosis. However I worked with pregnant ewes and newly born lambs during my pregnancy with DS and I was absolutely fine (took precautions obviously).

A lot of the advice is just to minimise exposure to nasty bacteria, so as long as your sensible and don't stick your head in a lion's mouth, I'll sure you'll be fine grin

MissTwister Sun 28-Jun-15 09:12:12

Sheep during lambing is main issue due to toxo. Zoo will be fine if you leave the penguins alone.

Lunastarfish Sun 28-Jun-15 11:50:55

At London Zoo there is a sign advising pregnant women to stay out of the children's petting zoo but i'm pretty sure the rest of the zoo is safe!

goldenhen Sun 28-Jun-15 19:18:29

Don't tell the Zoo this but I did their "keeper for a day" experience before I found out that I was pregnant. Turns out you're not supposed to, but I have researched this since (trying to work out whether I should worry or not!) and I am 100% satisfied this is for insurance purposes. There are no restrictions on pregnant people attending the zoo. The things you have to steer clear of are raw meat, and big cat poo (toxoplasmosis) and sheep during lambing season as previously mentioned.

Take a mini bottle of hand sanitiser and some wipes and be super vigilant about hygiene and you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now