Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Arthritis and housebound

(3 Posts)
mrso2015 Sat 27-Jun-15 14:18:29

I dont know if anyone I going through anything similar to myself, I have rheumatoid arthritis and am 5 months pregnant. I have also had aggressive diarrhoea for the last 20 weeks meaning I cant be far from the toilet at any given time (being tested for colitis and stomach issues like that atm) since coming off all meds I have just been in steady decline, tiredness being the major killer followed by swelling of most joints with feet and hands most effected.

I am having to rely on everyone around me to look after me and my son who is 7, my mum is taking him too and from school due to my husbands long working hours. I am awake a few times a night for the painful stiff struggle to the toilet the I can sleep most the day. I feel so separate to the world, I never get to go anywhere or do anything.

My husband doesn't understand, we only got married 2 months ago and his main concerns are how much attention he's not getting now and that I'm grumpy or short tempered with him. I feel like I'm in everyone's way and a massive inconvenience. I have no one to talk to, no one else is ill, they dont understand how a 27yr old can be so tired and in so much pain. I feel like I'm 80 and pregnant, I did not expect it to be like this. sad

ARV1981 Sat 27-Jun-15 14:39:01

Poor you. I wish I could give you some practical advice.

It's horrible to be in so much pain - I had 3 slipped discs a couple of years ago and that was bad enough - and I wasn't even pregnant!

Have you told you husband how isolated and alone you feel? He May not understand what you're going through having never been bed-ridden himself? Maybe he just needs it explained to him? I get that he's feeling neglected, mine did too when I had serious back pain (had to take morphine which spaced me out...) but once I'd explained that he needed to step up to the plate and be more helpful and understanding he got it.

Could you get some counselling? It might help you to come to terms with your situation better. Once the baby comes you'll have something to focus on but it'll also bring other problems, though I expect the physical pain will subside somewhat once you've had it.

Could you try light exercise like swimming? Might not be possible with your bowel problems but you may find it helps ease your joints? I'm no expert so please forgive me if this is the stupidest suggestion under the sun!

I really wish I could be more help to you! flowers

Whatabout Sat 27-Jun-15 14:41:40

Not the same but I have OA in my hip, pelvis and spine. It's not spd (I have that too actually) and not going anywhere once baby is here. I am struggling with pain, tiredness from lack of sleep due to pain and immobility. I'm working but physio want me to stop soon, five weeks left, I'm finishing at 34 weeks. Pregnancy isn't an illness but people don't always get that it can make pre-existing things so much worse. One day at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now