Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Combined screening

(16 Posts)
Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 12:23:02

Hi
I have received my combined results and they are as follows:

Bhcg conc. 99.57 corr mom 3.88
NT conc 2.50. Corr mom 1.33
Pappa 2708. Corr mom 0.93

My individual risk is 1:180

I have since had a harmony test and I'm waiting on the results.
Can you help me understand the results above?

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 17:20:57

Bump..

Topsy34 Sat 27-Jun-15 18:44:44

I dont know exactly but the individual risk is your risk of the baby having downs, 1:180 is low risk, nhs cut off is 1:150 i think

You pappa is 'normal'

Our local hospital likes the mom of bchg to be at 1. Between 1 and 4.5 is conisdered normal,mabove is high, the higher the number apparently the risk of high bp increases, although the study they use is on women who have never been pregnant before.

Bascially, you are considered low risk smile

cloudjumper Sat 27-Jun-15 20:23:24

Also, your age will be taken into account when you are given your individual risk - the older you are, the higher your risk will be, regardless of your blood results.

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 20:31:05

Hi there,

when I had the harmony test he checked the femur bone nasal bone head heart umbilical cord and all was fine he said "everything looks fine"
My concern is I was wondering if it was flagged up as 180 due to my NT result, the lady who done my scan was a trainee and the lady who was suppose to over see her didn't. I wasn't given any information and the baby was upside down and didn't move. I was just wondering if she managed to measure the head correctly at the first scan.
As my HGC levels are high also I now doubt this is the case. Are high HGC levels an indicator of anything I've looked online and it said if you had morning sickness bad which I did and bleeding which I didn't also I know there wasn't another (twin) as I had a scan at 10 weeks.

Also I'm 24..... A friend of mine who is pregnant at the same time had a result of 1:100 000 so although it says low risk I don't believe it

cloudjumper Sat 27-Jun-15 22:12:37

High b-Hcg can be an indicator for some issues, but I can't remember what the cut-off values are.

If you have done the Harmony test, I would ignore your combined screening results for now. Easier said than done, but the Harmony results will be much more accurate and give a better picture.

Appleblossom82 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:22:35

Your hcg is high and nt is on the higher side of normal (marginally).

Thickened nt, high hcg and low papp-a can all be indicators of chromosomal abnormalities. We had to have genetic counselling due to a high risk result and she was at great pains to explain that they are just screening tools snd mean very little on their own. They just flag up a possible need to look more closely.

I had a nt of 2.6 and low papp-a (hcg normal). This combined with my age of 33 gave me a high risk result of 1:85. Genuinely the worst time in my life, i was convinced our baby was the 1. But we had the harmony test and thank god, after an agonising 8 day wait we got the news our baby had just a 1:10,000 chance of anything being wrong.

Now 22 weeks and the anomoly scan was all good, so fingers crossed we have one healthy baby boy.

I hope you get your results soon. Im sure it will be good news and you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy again.

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 22:33:37

I feel so exhausted by it. The whole situation has been dreadful. I had my scan 5 weeks ago and only today did I receive my results in the post. I spent two weeks changing the hospital to be told the lady who does it is on annual leave... That's my problem how?!
Then the lady who did my scan made me so uneasy and now this....
I do hope it's nothing I pray to god she's ok, but part of me thinks I have to prepare for the worst. I am 24 and I do think those results are high for my age, that's why I opted for the harmony test.
Thank you all for your help, I can't help thinking I'm the 1 just like you PP. it's hard I do believe this combined screening should be scrapped if I had known before h d I would never have done it

Appleblossom82 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:41:29

I know how hard it is. Nothing anyone says will make you feel any better until you get that phone call telling you your baby is fine.

You know that its 99.5% that your baby is fine but somehow that doesnt help.

Im with you on the combined screening. I nearly didnt have it but changed my mind on the day. Went to hell and back for 2 weeks between scan and harmony results....that said, knowing more now about downs and the other conditions i think id still have the tests again as i would rather know and make an informed decision.

Its awful you had to wait so long and then got fobbed off! flowers

Appleblossom82 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:48:40

The only thought that helped me slightly was to remind myself the baby is what it is. The test doesnt change anything. You are just finding out about possible abnormalities now instead of at the birth.

So its 99.5% it will be happy days and celebrations or 0.5% chance you have some hard news to deal with.... but news that gives you options that you wouldnt have if you hadnt done the test.

Not sure if that helps, but i found it a little helpful.

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 22:49:50

I'm so pleased your results were fine, and that you can still offer help to those who are going through a difficult time.
The wording and everything is just wrong on the results.. Usually a result of 99.5% wouldn't have anyone worried but it does when I get 180 and my friend gets 100000... I had the test as I'm young and a first time mum I just assumed everyone had it my midwife was rubbish and didn't explain what is was or even that I didn't need it. I just thought I was doing the best for my child now I regret it... Hopefully I'll get my results by Friday

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 22:54:17

Hi Apple,

I agree with your way of thinking she is who she is and will be loved no more or less. Just from what I have read there is a possibility that she might not survive the pregnancy, I can deal with my child being disabled I can't deal with loosing her.
I just wish my midwife had informed me of what the test was I wouldn't of had it I'm a worrier naturally and feel this is putting me on the edge of depression.

Appleblossom82 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:55:16

Most women do have the screening test i believe. I do think it causes unnecessary worry though.

Remember all tests etc are optional and you dont have to do anything.

Try and keep busy and you will get there. Im confident it will be good news for you too. 1:180 is still in low risk. Its only 1:150 thats considered elevated risk. They set the boundaries so high in order to identify as many babies with abnormalities as possible. That unfortunately means that 95% (ish) of women who are told they are at a higher risk have perfectly healthy babies....and you are not even in that group. Im sure your baby is fine flowers

Cupcakesandlove Sat 27-Jun-15 22:59:03

Thank you so much.

I've emailed arc too just for some clarity and got a doctors appointment next Saturday regarding changing hospitals.
It's all a shambles but thank you - both of you for taking the time to reassure me.

I will update when I have my results whatever they may be.

If my scan showed no soft markers that has to be a small glimmer of hope right...?!!

Appleblossom82 Sat 27-Jun-15 23:13:23

I think it all looks very positive for your baby. Just a few tough days to get through and you will have peace of mind.

I look forward to hearing your good news soon.

Are you finding out the sex? They can do that through harmony too.

Cupcakesandlove Sun 28-Jun-15 07:02:28

I already found out on the scan I'm
Having a girl, will wait for blood to come back to confirm though before I go pink mad!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now