Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when to buy a nursing bra?

(13 Posts)
ARV1981 Fri 26-Jun-15 21:51:23

It's my first pregnancy so I don't really know anything!

When should I buy a nursing bra? All the tips on what to take to the hospital say I need one... but if I buy it too soon I'll have grown too big, won't I? And if I leave it too late and baby comes early them I won't have any at all!!!

Sorry this is such a first world problem, but I just want to be prepared!!! Thanks smile

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 26-Jun-15 21:55:38

I bought a few online for the early days when I wasn't really going out much at all (bravado bodysilk is Very Comfortable) then I went to bravissimo once I surfaced from newborn immersion and actually needed one that fit properly grin

youlemming Fri 26-Jun-15 22:26:33

No sooner than 36 wks and if done correctly they will measure you then go slightly larger as your breasts will fill out more when the milk comes in.

Roseybee10 Sat 27-Jun-15 01:00:18

Tbh I wouldn't bother til after your boobs settle once baby is born and milk is in properly.
I would recommend mothercare sleep bras for the early days which are more like crop tops that have a clip and just come in sizes s.m.l etc.

Lucyannieamy Sat 27-Jun-15 01:20:35

Buy a couple that fit now when pregnant (towards the end) and then buy sleep bras in a cup size larger but same width. I found over the nursing period (was 15mnth15mnth bf for both of mine)my bra sized changed significantly, firstly bigger cup with same big width then narrowing width still big cup, then post 9mnths smaller cup. So I had bras in all the sizes. Basically if you buy now you will wear them again!

applecore0317 Sat 27-Jun-15 02:02:34

I wss measured at 38 weeks and when my milk came in and they settled a week later the bra was too small, So I had to wear my sleep bras from jojo maman bebe instead until I could get measures again. I was a size bigger than measured and them just ordered the correct size online.

HazleNutt Sat 27-Jun-15 08:20:03

go for something stretchy now, like the Bravado one, or Royce blossom. And get properly fitted (in Bravissimo, not M&S or Mothercare) a few weeks after you've had the baby. It's very difficult to estimate how big your boobs will get.

applecatchers36 Sat 27-Jun-15 08:25:29

Got fitted at end approx, 38 weeks at John Lewis. The fabric had a bit of stretch and was fine when milk came in. Then once had size sorted got some more online. But John Lewis ones were good.

JRWREN2110 Sat 27-Jun-15 09:09:52

I got fitted at 39 weeks, they gave me a cup size bigger than I am now so I have room for when my milk comes in. I wear them now still (comfy).

ARV1981 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:26:26

Thank you. I'll wait just a little longer (I'll be 29 weeks tomorrow). Then I'll get a double pack of those sleeping bras (never realised I needed them, but doh! Leaking won't stop at night! Lol) and get properly fitted once baby's here.

A double pack should be enough for the first few days? If I'm in hospital longer I can always send my mum, sister or dh out to buy more (think dh would be embarrassed though, lol!)

eckythumpenallthat Sun 28-Jun-15 09:28:19

I got mine a week or so before my due date.

If I'd've left it until baby was here I'd never have got one. Emcs very I'll in hospital, bad reflux baby I barely left the house for a month

I got mine from M&S. Measured up n went a bit bigger to allow for milky no problems with them

ARV1981 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:35:50

Thank you. Sorry you had a hard first month.

I think if I'm in hospital/unable to leave the house the sleep bras will be ok though, won't they? Even if it is for a whole month! I'm not massive anyway (36DD at 29 weeks, normally 32D) so it's not like I've grown that much so far (though my cleavage is impressive these days grin) so hoping that I'll be ok with just sleep bras until I need to leave the house... then I guess my first shopping trip with a new baby will be to get a bra fitting... what a start in life for my little bean!!!!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 28-Jun-15 10:00:53

My boobs were much bigger once my milk came in - one cup size up wouldn't have been enough, it does vary from person to person I think. The sleep bras will definitely do to start with, and you may find that your standards slip a bit re how often you wash them with all the other things going on so two should be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now