Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Confused about neural tube defect screening

(4 Posts)
Sleepybeanbump Fri 26-Jun-15 10:18:12

Ok so have had combined test and harmony test for downs etc and now reading up about other stuff.

Seems like there's the double/triple / quad tests which screen for Downs plus other stuff incl neural tube. I've had the other tests at the fetal medicine centre and they offer the quad test. However I just rang them and they said it's not accurate compared with harmony and they don't really recommend. But they also confirmed that the harmony doesn't cover neural tube defects and that there's nothing else that does other than the quad...

From reading Nhs stuff about quad test it looks like it's only really used for downs screening if you've missed window for combined test.

Am I missing something? Is this just not normally screened for? Don't want to miss out on something without realising.

sianihedgehog Fri 26-Jun-15 20:28:47

They look at the neural tube to see that it has closed properly when they do the 12 week scan or at the viability scan if you have the harmony test package at the FMC. It doesn't need a test, they can see it.

LorryHen Fri 26-Jun-15 21:44:39

I had the quad test as I couldn't have the combined test. I had a letter back saying 1:100,000 for downs. I asked about other defects like Edwards, spina bifida etc and they said they couldn't test for it.

MissTwister Fri 26-Jun-15 22:24:41

Neural tube defects are normally looked for at 20 week scan, but as PP says the detailed scans at FMC would also likely pick up at 12 weeks. They said that when I asked at mine.

Quad is only used if you've missed the better tests - and at FMC you've had the top notch ones inc Harmony so don't worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now