Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain in the...girdle?!

(5 Posts)
CoffeeAndOranges Thu 25-Jun-15 21:10:35

I'm 19 weeks tomorrow and have been keeping pretty well. I have a 30 min walk home from work and for the second half it's a slow gentle incline. I've been finding it more and more tiring walking, especially uphill. I've gone from being able to run 8 miles no problem to getting puffed out walking for half an hour.

Anyway tonight, about 5 minutes from home (top of the 'hill') I suddenly got the most bizarre pain in my, well, my undercarriage area. It was like I had suddenly landed on a really thin bike seat, although it was more of a shooting pain than an ache. It went down my legs through my bum. It made me cry out a little in shock and pain as it was so out of the blue. I got home ok, although kept getting twinges, and had to lie down straight away. All evening it has on and off been hurting like the sort of ache you get after riding an bike for the first time in ages.

Any ideas what this is? When it first came on it felt a bit nerve-related. Now it's more like an ache. It's not very painful but I'm aware it's there. SPD? Sciatica?

I was going to go for a swim in the morning but not sure now... sad

P0llyP0cketR0cket Thu 25-Jun-15 21:15:59

I have SPD and that's what it feels like. Sorry blush Could be something else obvs as I'm not a medical professional!

westcountrywoman Thu 25-Jun-15 21:16:32

Sounds like SPD type pain, yes. A real sharp pain in the nether regions, but around the bones of the pelvis rather than up inside. Ask your GP for an opinion and a physio referral.

The getting puffed out bit could be a sign your getting a bit anaemic. Try some Spatone; it's very gentle on the stomach and not unpleasant. Most big supermarkets sell it in the vitamins and supplements aisle.

westcountrywoman Thu 25-Jun-15 21:17:47

Oh and swimming should be fine but avoid breast-stroke (the leg movement can cause excessive movement of the pelvis).

CoffeeAndOranges Thu 25-Jun-15 21:26:30

Yes I wondered if breaststroke might make it feel worse, although I have always been a bit crap at crawl. Mind you I haven't been swimming in ages anyway, was thinking of going tomorrow rather than the gym as thought it would be gentler (still trying to justify having that gym membership but may have to admit defeat).

I am taking Pregnacare which I thought had enough iron in - would need to check it's ok to take extras. I want to ring my midwife tomorrow as not had a letter yet about my 20 week scan which should be next Friday, nor a gestational diabetes test which she said would be done about the same time. So I'll talk to her about it.

Great - hope it's not here to stay for the next 20 weeks!!! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now