Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Paranoid about the sun!

(22 Posts)
cremedecacao Thu 25-Jun-15 16:34:16

I am a teacher, and have had to sit outside in the sun for quite a while this afternoon for Sports Day. It is the fete on Saturday and I am running a stall, meaning that again I will be out in the sun from 2 'til 4. There is no way I can have more than one break when running the stall, it is always manic! I'm 5 weeks pregnant and had a MMC in December, so I know I'm super cautious, but am I being ridiculous to worry about this?

TitusAndromedon Thu 25-Jun-15 16:40:13

Are you worried about overheating? Just make sure you keep well hydrated. I spent the first two weeks of my pregnancy in Thailand, where I spent much of my time quietly baking on a sun lounger. I'm now 16 weeks and everything appears to be developing just fine. There really isn't anything to worry about.

cremedecacao Thu 25-Jun-15 16:47:12

Yes blush thank you. I was hoping I was being paranoid as I can't really get out of it!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 25-Jun-15 16:58:50

I do find I burn much more easily in pregnancy, but apart from that and staying hydrated I can't see any problems with it.

MissTwister Thu 25-Jun-15 17:09:54

If it helps I don't think Saturday is meant to be hot!

Just drink lots of water and if it's sunny put on sun cream and a hat - but unless you're in some kind of major 45 degree heatwave you're not going to do any damage

cremedecacao Thu 25-Jun-15 17:45:22

Thanks... sorry! I am trying so hard not to be crazy about every little thing. But I am! Can't cook a meal without googling every ingredient first. I always said I wouldn't be like this!

minijoeyjojo Thu 25-Jun-15 17:50:44

Just make sure you put some high factor sun cream on, bring a hat and plenty of water.

No need to worry about being in the sun though - vitamin D is good for a developing baby smile

Paddingtonlovesmarmalade Thu 25-Jun-15 17:54:00

I'm paranoid about the complete opposite! I don't get enough sun, and vitamin d is so important so I'm out for as long as I can every opportunity I get - two hours of uninterrupted vitamin d top up would be amazing.

Soak it up, and think of all the health benefits your baby is getting. Just don't wear too much sunscreen to block out all the rays. I know the risks of skin cancer, skin pigmentation, over heating etc are real and important, but vitamin d deficiency is too! It's important to get a good balance, I think. Fear of the sun can cause problems too.

Happy summer!

TitusAndromedon Thu 25-Jun-15 18:28:02

I know that, after having a previous bad experience, it can be really easy to feel quite anxious. I found it helpful to remind myself of two things in those first few weeks. The first is that millions of women have healthy pregnancies, and there's no reason I shouldn't be one of them. The second is that, at this early stage, there's very little you can do to ensure the success of the pregnancy. In some ways, giving up that control can be quite freeing. In fact, allowing yourself to relax and stay calm is the best thing you can do for your baby.

I hope you have a happy, healthy and uneventful pregnancy.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Thu 25-Jun-15 18:30:37

Um, seriously? You're worried about being outside for 2 hours, in the UK, because you're 5 weeks pregnant?
Yes, you're being very paranoid. You might want to talk to your dr about this, its really rather extreme.

Lunastarfish Thu 25-Jun-15 18:30:39

Vitamin D is important in pregnancy and the sun is the best source. Just keep hydrated and wear a hat.

cremedecacao Thu 25-Jun-15 23:14:45

Thanks... hadn't realised sun was considered GOOD for pregnant women, had only read lots of bad things about overheating.

Winter, I don't think I need to see a dr, I though it was probably a silly question which is why I asked on Mumsnet rather than in RL. I think it's probably quite normal to feel anxious and want to check everything.

I'm going to invest in a fancy new hat tomorrow!

newbian Fri 26-Jun-15 01:18:28

Yes sun is good for everyone, lack of vitamin D is a growing issue of concern in the medical community. Unless you are extremely pale or have some other sensitivity, late afternoon June sun in the UK is not hot or strong enough to cause serious overheating or burning. Enjoy the day!

upthewolves Fri 26-Jun-15 02:05:39

Yep don't worry - just remember that women have babies all over the world in hot climates! I live in Australia and was in first trimester during hottest part of summer, 35-40 degrees every day. None of the HCPs mentioned anything about being careful in the sun (outside of usual precautions) . Enjoy sports day!

PixieChops Fri 26-Jun-15 02:24:02

It's not a silly question OP and I can understand why you'd be cautious. But you'll be just fine so enjoy the sun while it lasts smile

Scotinoz Fri 26-Jun-15 03:51:06

Don't think you've got anything to worry about. I survived pregnancy in Australian summer without mishap

MissTwister Fri 26-Jun-15 08:19:50

Newbian I'd disagree about the burning! I'm pale and sat outside for about 45 minutes yesterday before having to seek shade through burning (had no suncream though). Sun isn't bad for you but UK sun is no different from sun elsewhere!

Cremedecacao its not a silly question at all - its normal to check silly little things out, I sure did!

PotteringAlong Fri 26-Jun-15 08:25:21

You know people have babies in hot countries all the time, right?

Stinkylinky Fri 26-Jun-15 08:41:24

You will be fine OP. Make sure you pop se sunscreen on though, my skin has been so sensitive since being pregnant and I only need to look at the sun to burn now!

meglet Fri 26-Jun-15 08:45:55

it's normal to be anxious at first, I was scared to drive for the month of my first pregnancy.

don't panic. women have babies in hot countries all the time. As long as you keep hydrated it's not going to do any harm.

sherbertlemon17 Fri 26-Jun-15 11:59:25

Hi op don't be worried. I'm a PE teacher and am outside in the sun pretty much all day everyday. I'm 16 weeks now and everything is fine. All I'd say is drink lots of water, slap on the sun cream and if your getting pregnancy headaches, sunglasses are a must! Have fun and enjoy the gorgeous weather! smile

cremedecacao Fri 26-Jun-15 17:02:41

Thanks everyone smile you've put my mind at rest.

Have purchased a brand new floppy hat to keep cool- a great excuse!

I burn so easily, so will be slathering on the sun cream too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now