Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron level 108 ?

(9 Posts)
Bluepetra Thu 25-Jun-15 16:04:32

ive just been told my iron level is 108 in a letter from the hospital. Advised to take the tablets but I have severe IBS and iron tablets make it worse. So I bought Feroglobin liquid iron, does anyone think this will help ? Or in similar situation ? Is this level very low?
I'm veggie so finding it hard to keep levels up.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 25-Jun-15 16:17:06

I think 110 is the cut off point but as pregnancy progresses you need more and more. I got the iron tablets from my doctor last time so it might be worth asking them what type they'd advise and what dosage. I can't remember what my level was now but the over the counter stuff wasn't strong enough.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Thu 25-Jun-15 16:17:58

Actually I just remembered, I had the letter from the hospital and when I phoned the doctor the prescription was ready even though the letter hadn't mentioned it!

scarednoob Thu 25-Jun-15 16:18:47

my friend took the liquid ones, she said to mix them with orange juice or something as the taste is really strong. she was fine after taking a sachet a day!

BlinkAndMiss Fri 26-Jun-15 05:42:18

I changed from tablets to liquid due to horrendous constipation and it was a lot more gentle on my stomach.

DulcetMoans Fri 26-Jun-15 06:06:27

I tried the liquid for a few weeks but it wasn't enough to get the levels up. The tablets haven't been too bad for me in terms of constipation which is the main complaint for people that use them but I have been having lucozade as well to try and counter that in case.

108 isn't too bad, it's just trying to prevent it getting worse. Try the liquid for a bit, mixed with orange juice and leave at least an hour each side from having anything with milk in as that prevents absorption. If it doesn't work you can go on the pills very easily.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Fri 26-Jun-15 06:11:52

Mine was 89 at 36 weeks pregnant. Now 105 and I feel like a new woman! 108 isn't too bad, in some areas it's not consider low. Definitely try and prevent it getting worse though as iron stores do drop during pregnancy.

Emus Fri 26-Jun-15 06:41:43

The cut off point is 110 so 108 isn't too bad (mine is 109). I bought a liquid called Floradix (from Amazon) but have only taken a handful of times as I've since been prescribed indigestion medication from the GP that conflicts with iron supplements and the indigestion is causing me more issues!

You should take iron supplements with orange juice because the vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron. smile

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 09:15:58

There are a few thinks you can do to help yourself - eat more iron rich foods such as steak, and always have these meals with fresh orange juice whilst avoiding caffeine.

You can try Floradix as suggested above, lots of ladies in my thread have increased their iron levels doing this.

I was on iron tablets, but my level is now back up, I have steak once a week and eat plenty of iron rich food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now