Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can you go into labour...

(24 Posts)
Moominy12 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:14:43

If you haven't lost your plug yet and waters haven't broke?

I'm 37w2d and experiencing bad period pains

Whatabout Thu 25-Jun-15 09:17:58

That's the most usual way it happens, lots of people don't have shows or waters go before active labour. Try timing them to see if they have a pattern.

WinterOfOurDiscountTents15 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:18:00

Yes. The waters breaking first thing is a TV myth, for many if not most that happens much later in labour.

Lweji Thu 25-Jun-15 09:20:16

I had those pains for almost 24 hours before my waters broke.

And another 12 hours till DS was born. <looking at you, DS hmm>

Poledra Thu 25-Jun-15 09:22:16

Oh yes indeed. I think that it's actually less common for waters breaking to be the first sign - you're usually started by then! I didnt lose my mucus plug until after I was in hospital all 3 times, and twice had my waters broken by the midwife.

ALittleFaith Thu 25-Jun-15 09:22:32

Yes! Ring your midwife for advice. Good luck!

fattymcfatfat Thu 25-Jun-15 09:25:21

my mums waters never broke, they were all broken by mw in hospital. with DS mine did go, with DD they didn't until I needed to push and me pushing popped them! (and the mw got covered in it)

Youmakemydreams Thu 25-Jun-15 09:27:59

Yep very common. With all 3 of mine had my show when I already was sure I was in labour only few hours before actual birth and waters haven't gone any of the three until I was in active labour and in ds2 case actually pushing him out.

Candlefairy101 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:30:48

I've never had a show or water before I went into labour, I literally just have pains in my lower back. I'm on my 3rd and I don't k ow what the show looks like or what it feels to have your waters break natural shock

LastOneDancing Thu 25-Jun-15 09:32:21

I never lost my plug. Waters broke in the hospital when I was 3cm.

Good luck Op!! smile

Micah Thu 25-Jun-15 09:32:54

It's only on TV everyone's waters go with no other labour signs smile

Most people they go when labour is already established.

My waters went first, with no other labour signs. It's called premature rupture of membranes, and can actually be a big problem. You're at risk of infection until baby is delivered.

jeee Thu 25-Jun-15 09:33:44

I never noticed losing my plug. And my waters only broke naturally with dc4. So, yes, it's time to call the midwife....

But on the other hand, pregnancy's a funny thing, odd aches and pains being normal, particularly near the end. So you may well still find yourself waiting in four weeks time!

GlitzAndGigglesx Thu 25-Jun-15 09:37:21

I don't remember losing my my plug first time but my waters went twice in one day before the bastard contractions started. My sister otoh only had contractions to let her know she was in labour and had her waters broke in hospital

Levismum Thu 25-Jun-15 10:40:56

One of mine was born in the amniotic sac! Only had a show with one of my babies...

I've given birth 6 times.

Rest, eat & try to relax.

Good luck!

LibrariesGaveUsPower Thu 25-Jun-15 13:29:31

Yes. Three kids, never had my waters break until established labour.

Poppytime Thu 25-Jun-15 13:57:19

As you can see it can definitely happen! For me however, it doesn't just happen on TV - my waters broke with a big gush about 11.30pm and I went into labour an hour or so later. Good luck!

BlinkAndMiss Fri 26-Jun-15 05:46:39

With DS1 my plug went once my contractions started then my waters went right before he arrived. I thought I'd have the same with DS2, I didn't have a show and my waters went at the last second again.

Athenaviolet Fri 26-Jun-15 06:14:14

My waters have never broken-just came out with the baby.

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 09:25:01

I've lost the plug and gone in to labour on the same day, but even after 20 hours of labour my waters still had to be broken.

I think they were made of some kind of indestructible plastic or something grin

DC2 was ELCS, so no water or show.

DC3 due in two weeks, planned ELCS so hoping no waters or show again!

Elledouble Fri 26-Jun-15 09:28:24

My waters broke with a gush (managed to jump out of bed just in time before they soaked the mattress!) and I went into labour immediately, but my mum had to have hers broken with all three of us. That seems to be more usual. My brother was nearly born in the caul.

SaulGood Fri 26-Jun-15 09:29:18

85% of people go into labour before their waters break.

I was in the 15% both times. First time I was eating dinner, second I was asleep. No warning signs at all.

SaulGood Fri 26-Jun-15 09:29:51

I wonder if the OP has had her baby?

slightlyconfused85 Fri 26-Jun-15 10:25:48

My waters went Hollywood style then my contractions started soon after. However, I am the only person I know who this has happened to! Most had contractions first and waters later during labour or had them broken. Good luck op if your baby is on the way smilesmile

LastOneDancing Fri 26-Jun-15 11:17:44

I came back to see if the OP had updated too.
Hopefully she's cuddling a newborn right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now