Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scan at 6+6

(13 Posts)
Anon4Now2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:05:15

After the concerns about HcG levels not doubling I rang the early pregnancy unit this morning and they have booked me in for a scan tomorrow when I will be 6+6.

What should I expect to see at this stage? And is the HCG level likely to affect what can be seen? All I can remember is what we did see at this stage with my mmc

Stinkersmum Thu 25-Jun-15 08:12:39

I think it depends on whether you have an abdominal or internal scan. Abdominal - you may see the sac but not much more. Internal - you should be able to see the heartbeat. I know some don't like internal scans but I had one at 5+4 and to see the heartbeat was amazing.

sizethree Thu 25-Jun-15 08:25:56

I've had one bang on 6 weeks, and although they could see the sac from the external scan, the recommended an internal scan to clarify size. A heartbeat was found at that stage too. But it is just a tiny blob so you won't be able to see much of you look at the screen.
Hope everything goes well for you today.

MrsBungle Thu 25-Jun-15 08:29:16

My first scan with dd was at 6+6. Abdominal scan and I saw the heartbeat. I had thought I was 7+3 though.

pinkie87 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:31:57

I had an external scan at 6+4 and saw the little heartbeat although I know this is not the case for everyone.

Anon4Now2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:44:12

Thanks everyone.

I know from last time's several scans that they will start with an abdominal scan and if they can't see what they want to see will move to a vaginal scan. I've had dozens of them now so they don't really bother me.

Am really hoping to see a heartbeat but couldn't remember whether not seeing one at 6+6 would be really bad news or something to be expected.

scarednoob Thu 25-Jun-15 09:12:05

I think it's usually best to see one by that stage, but if there isn't one yet, it doesn't necessarily mean the worst.

Whatabout Thu 25-Jun-15 09:16:19

Are they going to check your hcg levels again? At this stage that is usually the best indicator of viability as a scan can be quite inconclusive

Anon4Now2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:36:17

Whatabout I'd heard that once they can see a heartbeat a scan is a better indicator of viability than HcG levels?

The GP isn't planning to do the HcG levels again though the EPAU might. I don't know. At the moment they are low (but at the low end of the normal range) and are doubling really slowly.

At 5+2 they were 1007. At 5+5 (so 72 hours later) they were 1919 - so a rise of 74%. At 6+4 they were 3759 - so not quite doubled in 6 days. It worries me but the GP keeps saying it's fine as long they are going up and that she's cautiously optimistic.

I've searched loads online and found a mixed bag of people saying that not doubling every 48 to 72 hours is indicative of miscarriage and people who have stories of their HcG not doubling that quickly and having healthy pregnancies.

After my mmc earlier this year I was found to have really high FSH and was told that it was highly unlikely I would get pregnant without IVF using donor eggs (which we can't afford). I then got pregnant naturally, though I know that the miscarriage rate with that high FSH is high because of the likelihood of poor egg quality. I'm just so scared.

Whatabout Thu 25-Jun-15 10:26:50

Sorry, I thought you were another poster who had had a very small rise and not a double so ignore me!

Hope all is well flowers

Anon4Now2015 Thu 25-Jun-15 10:31:19

Whatabout it did double but over such a long period that if they'd tested in the usual 48-72 hours it would have just been a small rise, if that makes sense?

Pancakeflipper Thu 25-Jun-15 13:41:32

I've got my fingers tightly crossed for you.
Sounds like you've had a real crappy time.

Junosmum Thu 25-Jun-15 15:02:03

I had a scan at 6+6 due to suspected ectopic pregnancy. They did an abdominal one but could only see a sac so then did a vaginal one. It was a little odd but didn't hurt.

The embryo measure 9.1mm, perfect for the dates and I could see a kidney bean shaped thing with a flickering white centre, which is the heartbeat. The sonographer could see the neural tube and yolk sac as well.

I have no idea what my HCG levels were at that stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now