Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch mark creams

(9 Posts)
Donnakim Thu 25-Jun-15 08:00:45

So, I always hear about Bio Oil. Is this really the best thing to use or just the most marketed?

Also when should you start using something on your skin?

Stinkersmum Thu 25-Jun-15 08:02:38

Start as soon as you can. But in all honesty, nothing can prevent stretch marks - either your skin gives or it doesn't. Keeping it well moisturised can help. Once you've got them there's no reading them although bio oil can help minimise them.

LorryHen Thu 25-Jun-15 08:02:40

I know stretch marks are genetic and you can't stop them but I've been using the lush belly bar for pregnant bellies and it has helped take the purple colour out of stretch marks so they are barely visible. I started using it at about 14 weeks

OhEmGeee Thu 25-Jun-15 08:16:18

Waitrose baby bottom butter is lovely.

happygojo Thu 25-Jun-15 08:19:16

I have been using bio oil twice a day since before my BFP. I have loads of stretch marks....(damn you genetics!) however the first ones I got are now fading and are no longer purple.

Kundry Thu 25-Jun-15 08:26:37

Bio Oil is just marketing. If you read their stuff they are very careful not to make any claims themselves. Plus stretch marks fade by themselves - if you use Bio Oil you'll think it 'worked'.

JRWREN2110 Thu 25-Jun-15 08:31:32

I use Mother's Oil by Neal's Yard, it it really nice. Oils work nicely as they sink into your skin throughout the day and help it feel nourished. I only got stretch marks over at 38 weeks on my hips...now 40 weeks with no more marks, hopefully will stay that way as baby will hopefully make an appearance soon. Stay hydrated and eat good skin foods (vitimins) will also help, you will either get them or not, but you might be able to keep them to a minimum!

BatteryPoweredHen Thu 25-Jun-15 09:58:07

Trofolastin has been proven better than placebo in a controlled trial.

SaulGood Thu 25-Jun-15 10:08:09

Generally, the lotions and potions do nothing as the skin stretches and tears at a level that won't be reached by creams. Genetics, age, size of bump and lots of other factors tend to determine whether you'll get them.

With my first I had them everywhere. Back, hips, breasts, thighs, down to my knees in fact. They were vivid red/purple and huge. 8 years later (plus another pregnancy) and they're silvery white and really only noticeable from certain angles.

Keeping your skin hydrated and soft certainly helps you feel better sometimes but in terms of preventing stretch marks, it makes no difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now