Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Foot & hand molds?

(10 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Wed 24-Jun-15 09:58:50

After baby is born I really want to get the hand print & foot print mold done for keepsake. Anyone recommend?

Better to buy the kit & do it at home?
Or
Mothercare hold some sessions at some branches, is it better to get done by a professional?

KateRaeganandMichael Wed 24-Jun-15 10:09:00

I think the diy home kits are quite fun - I was in mothercare the other day and picked up a leaflet for it (the pro molds) and it is soooooooo expensive. £29 for Childs first shoes to be framed, £78 for hand and foot print. Diy all the way for me... XD

RockerMummy184 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:09:50

I did my own at home as a first father's day present for DH. They are not as perfect as the professional ones I've seen, but we love them even more.

I bought a kit from Amazon, I believe it's called Baby-rice or something like that? It comes with loads of the materials you need so you can re-do them if they don't turn out quite how you want. I made 3 sets and still have some left over.

I also made a really cute keepsake for my MIL's birthday that I got from Amazon too. It's a little round tin filled with modelling clay that you stamp baby's hand/foot into and leave it to set. (you can even do one for the dog! blush )

KateRaeganandMichael Wed 24-Jun-15 10:10:09

I think the diy home kits are quite fun - I was in mothercare the other day and picked up a leaflet for it (the pro molds) and it is soooooooo expensive. £29 for Childs first shoes to be framed, £78 for hand and foot print. Diy all the way for me... XD

KateRaeganandMichael Wed 24-Jun-15 10:11:03

Sorry for double post - I pressed back like a plum...

MumToBe2015R Wed 24-Jun-15 15:57:01

Wow £79! I think I'll go for doing it myself lol!

NickyEds Wed 24-Jun-15 20:40:31

Can I give you one to avoid? We did a Mamas and Papas one (it was clay in a tin) and it was really hard to use. The clay was rock hard, even after getting it warm and kneading it for ages, it took us ages to get a print!

luckiestgirlintheworld Wed 24-Jun-15 20:49:37

There was a lady selling diy kits in the hospital when DS was born (about a year ago). Think it was under £20 but don't know the price- my mum bought us one. I do love looking at his little hand on the mantlepiece.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:04:44

I'm going to try and do it at home using salt dough rather than buy a kit.
theimaginationtree.com/2011/06/salt-dough-footprint-keepsakes.html

tattyteddy Wed 24-Jun-15 21:04:51

I felt the one you do at home was really fiddly. We had our DD's done at John Lewsis and love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now