Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

5 month pregnant and European city break?

(38 Posts)
Shoegal30 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:38:04

I will be about 5 months pregnant and am looking at doing a 3 day European city break with hubby.

I have talked about it with a couple of friends who have said that as I have gone through a couple of rounds of ivf getting pregnant that I shouldn't risk it and do something in the uk. They have also said at 5 months they were very uncomfortable with growing pains etc.

Any advice? Should I just stay closer to home?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 24-Jun-15 08:40:36

There's no reason you can't go really as long as you're happy! In my first pregnancy I was flying backwards and forwards between here and Milan as DH was working there. 5 months is also a good time to go as morning sickness will likely be over but you won't be huge and uncomfortable. Just don't overdo the walking and factor in regular breaks.

timeforacheckup Wed 24-Jun-15 08:45:35

Second trimester ideal time for travel as over the sickness stage but not too large. I went to Greece at 22wks and it was fine (except for one vomitting incident on a tour bus!).
Plus you'll be in a big city with decent health care not the back of beyond!

Christelle2207 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:50:49

We went to Barcelona for a long weekend when 5 months pg. Was great.

Just go to a country with decent healthcare and make sure your insurance covers you.

OhHolyFuck Wed 24-Jun-15 08:54:46

I'm going to Copenhagen at 22 weeks, it's a friends wedding and was booked before months in advance, I'm just going to take a few rest breaks but sure it'll be fine

NorthernChinchilla Wed 24-Jun-15 08:55:26

I had a lovely break with DP in Bruges at 5-6 months. Perfect time in the second tri. Only problem was I couldn't enjoy all the Belgium beers grin !
Arranging health care/ insurance aside, the only proviso would be if you're stressed by it, you won't enjoy it, so only go if you're truly happy to.

Stinkersmum Wed 24-Jun-15 09:03:02

Your friends are talking nonsense. Where do they think the risk is?

starsinyourpies Wed 24-Jun-15 09:05:10

Go go go and enjoy this precious holiday where you can SLEEP in eat out, laze around etc etc!! Make memories smile. Obviously I love being a mum too but I kind of miss that kind of holiday, can you tell?

Alwaysfrank Wed 24-Jun-15 09:12:52

Go! You don't know when you will get another chance.

I managed Venice at about 28 weeks with twins, and went to Kong Kong at 5 months pregnant with dd. If you are having a normal trouble free pregnancy there is no reason not to go.

MadAngryGnome Wed 24-Jun-15 09:14:30

I felt great at 5 months and would've skipped gaily round a 3 day city break. Different story by 7 months though... so go for it!

JassyRadlett Wed 24-Jun-15 09:15:21

I did Paris with DH at around 26 weeks last time which was absolutely lovely. The Eurostar was a doddle but can't see why shorthaul wouldn't be simple as well.

This pregnancy I flew to Australia at 11 weeks with controlled hyperemesis. Do not recommend.

chandelierswinger Wed 24-Jun-15 09:16:55

I had an amaaaaazing break around 5 months pg. I couldn't skip like the pp, but I had spd (brief respite when baby moved up away from pelvis) but I remember the break fondly. Go. Have an amazing time.

sizethree Wed 24-Jun-15 09:19:48

I've had 3 miscarriages and a miserable 2 years. I booked a week in Majorca when I was at week 13 after my scan. Had an unfortunate bleed 3 days before I was due to go. Got checked over at the hospital and everything was fine and the doctor very much urged me to still go on the holiday. Only suggestion was to make sure I wore flight socks, move around a bit and drink plenty.
I had a lovely holiday and so pleased I went.
So please try to not worry and go and enjoy your break.

newbian Wed 24-Jun-15 09:35:40

All advice is that second trimester is the best time to travel. My doctor OK'ed a long-haul trip for me at 21-23 weeks.

I'm 20+6 and can attest that for the past week I've had very bad round ligament pain, so that's something to keep in mind, but there's nothing being in the UK would help with compared to being on vacation. Just take it easy and if you feel too tired to walk, sit at a cafe and enjoy the scenery smile

chloechloe Wed 24-Jun-15 09:41:14

Make the most of it (provided your Dr is fine with you flying)! This will be your last chance for a sightseeing holiday for a long while.

I don't get why IVF changes anything. I was in the same position myself and was flying round Europe a lot for work during pregnancy and also went to Tenerife at 5 months. Just make sure you drink lots of water and get some lovely compression stockings to wea on the plane! Enjoy!

HazleNutt Wed 24-Jun-15 09:50:42

what do they think would be riskier in mainland Europe than in the UK? Most European countries are perfectly safe.

Lunastarfish Wed 24-Jun-15 09:52:17

I went to Paris at 13 weeks. I was at the tail end of morning sickness and that ruined the break for me. I was so tired and was still struggling with my appetite. It would have been so much better at 5 months so go! I was also planning on going away during the last trimester (just to the uk) but I'm too tired now and don't like being far from home - 5 months is the perfect time to go away.

As others said make sure you have travel insurance, carry a bottle of water everywhere with you and take plenty of rest breaks. In Paris we ended up doing a river cruise twice so that I could rest but still see things.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 24-Jun-15 09:58:58

Just worked out that I flew short haul 12 times while I was pregnant, mainly city break type things! Second trimester was definitely easiest.

KitZacJak Wed 24-Jun-15 09:59:48

I went to Paris at 5 months pregnant on the eurostar. We had a lovely weekend, I walked miles, went on the metro and the river cruise, even walked up the Eiffel Tower, ate tons of food and was fine. I felt great at 5 months but obviously not everyone is the same.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 24-Jun-15 10:01:03

It's probably the best time to go as others have said. Always worth checking with your travel insurance to make sure you are covered, and if you're beyond 24 weeks make sure they'll cover the baby too if born early - a lot don't. Obviously extremely unlikely but worth checking for the price of a phone call.
Europe sounds ideal - short flight or train ride, health care pretty good throughout as is hygiene
Enjoy it, it'll be great

Brummiegirl15 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:10:33

I'm travelling to Florida at 21 weeks and I'm excited!

Just remember flight socks and plenty of water. Insure & go will cover you up to 32 weeks

Shoegal30 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:18:21

Thanks all. I have worked out and depending when I book I will be between 16-19 weeks so I think will be ideal.

I'm even inspired to consider doing a week beach break in Europe wink

blackteaplease Wed 24-Jun-15 10:19:57

If you are feeling well in your pregnancy there is no reason not to go. I went to Thailand for 3 weeks in my first pregnancy and it was fine. Actually, I was also working in Dublin flying back and forth at 6 months. In my 2nd and 3rd (current) pregnancy I had/have bad spd so wouldn't have enjoyed a city break. Having said that we are going to France for 2 weeks camping when I will be 6 months.

Take your notes and double check your travel insurance and then enjoy your break.

blackteaplease Wed 24-Jun-15 10:20:42

Cross posted, go for the week if you can!

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 24-Jun-15 10:21:57

We had a whole holiday in Italy, including stays in 2 different cities, climbing lots of towers etc etc and it was all fine really except a) we had a heatwave the 2nd week - so just had to go back to the hotel for a cool off round the middle of each day and eat lots of icecream, and b) I was a bit gutted to miss out on the chianti and interesting cheeses! Though actually I did allow myself a bit of both by the end...

So if you are feeling OK then would definitely go for it while you have the chance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now