Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Peanut butter...... Is it ok?

(10 Posts)
Emjones88 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:16:39

Just that really.

Have read conflicting arguments that not eating peanut things causes allergies and eating them causes allergies.

Just wondered if you ladies has any advice or experience. My baby seems to like peanut butted! Lol

LashesandLipstick Wed 24-Jun-15 08:19:52

Current guidelines say it's fine

newbian Wed 24-Jun-15 08:20:43

NHS says fine to eat peanuts and peanut products in pregnancy unless you have an allergy yourself. Apparently the guidance used to be to avoid them but this has changed as research has shown there is no link at all between eating peanuts in pregnancy and allergies in children.

applecore0317 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:21:13

says on tbe NHS website that eating peanuts is fine including peanut butter, best go to list really to check things smile

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

pinkie87 Wed 24-Jun-15 08:23:01

It's fine. I've been eating it since day 1.

Trenzalor Wed 24-Jun-15 08:30:00

I ate it throughout. All was fine.

Emjones88 Wed 24-Jun-15 14:07:36

Thank you ladies. I had been eating it then I read a leaflet (must be fairly old) in midwife pack which made me question.

quesadillas Wed 24-Jun-15 15:13:40

It's fine. My midwife recommended it as I'm a diabetic. Good source of protein.

geekymommy Wed 24-Jun-15 18:18:45

This is an area of active research. Current thinking, here in the US at least, seems to be that exposing babies to peanut products might reduce their risk of peanut allergies. If that's the case, then there's no reason to avoid peanut butter unless the smell makes you heave, as happened to my sister in her first pregnancy. If my BIL opened a jar of peanut butter anywhere in the house, she'd yell at him to take it outside. In a New England winter. My niece from that pregnancy is 9 now, and as far as I know has never been allergic to peanuts.

I have eaten peanuts and peanut butter in both my pregnancies. This time around, I've rather craved Thai peanut sauce and Kung Pao chicken or tofu.

Twinwife Wed 24-Jun-15 18:41:18

It's fine, I was actually at a seminar yesterday about it. Interestingly, recent evidence is showing that even in high risk of allergy babies, that introducing peanuts in their diet as early as possible (I.e. 6 months) actually reduces the risk of peanut allergy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now