Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sweet Jesus but being induced is fecking boring

(147 Posts)
Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 02:52:09

Arrived at 11 am yesterday. Pessary in by noon. They won't even look at my under carriage until 24hrs after pessary going in, but have to stay overnight on 4 hour obs. Best case scenario they can break my waters in the morning, otherwise a 6 HR wait then another pessary then another 6hr wait to see if that works which takes me to 11 PM.
Poor girl in the next bay has been chucking up all night. I really feel for her she is so young and frightened (obvs no sleep for me tho).
I have watched waaaaay too much telly. What happened to splat waters break ... three pushes.... baby's here! It is not slow mo in the movies!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 02:58:58

Don't speak too soon - it might get far more interesting very quickly!

My inductions were quite boring to start with too but not so much fun later. I'm surprised they've left you so long with just one pessary though, I had my first at 9pm the day I went in, then the next in the morning and the 3rd early afternoon. By 11pm I still had only dilated 1cm (actually had got to 2 and then back to 1) but my waters had gone down the loo about an hour previously and I was contracting quite strongly (and yes, being sick sad ). They left me "for another 4h" to see if I would progress, otherwise it was drip time - and at 1:30 stage 2 started, then DS1 was born at 2:03am. Bit of a rush job in the end - DH had to go and fetch the MW as I wasn't even in a delivery suite and they had a few emergencies going on - MW arrived just after DS1 crowned and was just in time to check the cord wasn't round his neck when I pushed him out!

Good luck, hope things start moving along for you soon thanks

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 03:00:03

Oh dear, doesn't sound like you are having a good time of it. My fingers are crossed for you that they can break your waters in the morning. I have a friend who had 2 failed inductions, poor girl was going crazy in hospital. Most of my friends who were induced went first pessary though. How many weeks are you and is this your first?

Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 03:20:15

Ooh peeps are up. Thankyou for keeping me company. I am 40 weeks and this is my first. Apparently they have just changed protocol from the 6 HR pessaries to the 24hrs one. I am getting a few cramps so really hoping my cervix is beginning to gape. I know I should be careful what I wish for! I may be bored but at least I am not the poor girl next door. She is having a proper shit time.

kickassangel Wed 24-Jun-15 03:21:36

Yep. The one thing that just never makes it into the movies is just how long childbirth can take.

Seriously, they made a movie about a man being stuck in the desert for a few days ( OK he cut his arm off, but I would have done that to speed things up). Never seen one about the week of latent labor, and three days of induction I went through.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 03:33:52

I'm wide awake so happy to keep you company. It sounds like things are starting to move for you. It's so boring being in hospital, I've had a few minor issues so have spent more time in hospital than I would like. It's impossible to sleep in hospital, especially for me as I have very bad spd (crutches for the last 6 months). I'm 39+2 and now very uncomfortable, hence no sleep even at home. I'm hoping my wee one comes without the need for induction but we are running out of time. I've been cramping and losing my plug on and off for the past couple of weeks but no sign of baby yet hmm

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 03:36:13

And even if they did, they'd cheat and keep putting up things like "6 hours later" - cut to woman moaning a fraction more than last time - "12 hours later" - woman getting thoroughly fucked off, irate, hangry and generally "get this thing out of me!" - "another 12h later" - stage 2 kicks in with proper moaning and possibly screaming (just me?), grabbing of whatever DH bits are available and squeezing HARD, that kind of thing - "3h later" - finally getting to crowning stage etc.

(Random time lapses btw)

It would be deemed "too realistic, too scary, would put women off or scare them about childbirth" or something.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 03:37:48

Oh Helen, I feel for you - SPD is horrible, isn't it? I was lucky, my osteopath could put me back together every time I saw her, but it would get progressively worse over the fortnight between sessions.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 03:53:50

It is awful. I twisted my pelvis a couple of years ago, which apparently made me very susceptible. I'm at the point where my pelvis feels like it's going to shatter with every step. I'm really hoping that it resolves as soon as baby is born. I've tried everything but mine is just too far gone to treat unfortunately. Doc says I've been lucky to avoid a wheelchair. blush

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 03:59:35

Goodness I sound like a right moan. I'm just having a bad day I think. It's getting near the end and I'm weary! It will all be worth it though grin

Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 05:08:11

Oi start your own misery thread! wink
I really shouldnt complain. It has been a very straightforward pregnancy. Not even any ms. It has taken three years and multiple losses to get to this point, so feeling vv blessed. Bring on the drama.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 05:25:27

It won't be long now and you will have your little one in your arms. Do you know whether it's a boy or a girl?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 05:52:25

How are you doing, Belleende? Progressing any?

Helen - if you've tried everything then I doubt there's much point me linking this description of what my osteo did for me, but just in case I will link it anyway, see if it is any help whatsoever. If you've already tried it and it hasn't worked, then fair enough - but if not, it might just give you a bit of relief www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/a1846101-Did-anyone-take-painkillers-for-SPD?

JugglingLife Wed 24-Jun-15 05:52:59

Morning Belle! Sending gapey, twingy thoughts your way. Hopefully they'll be breaking your waters soon. shameless placemarking in the hope of a live birth thread

Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 06:08:25

Have been dozing. Girl next door seems to have gotten some respite. Has put me right off morphine I can tell you. Don't know the flavour and having wavered over the months quite glad I don't now. Now for morning wee.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 24-Jun-15 06:32:50

I had to have an anti-emetic jab to stop me being sick, but it was from the contractions, not from any drugs. I've never been much use with hormone overloading!

longestlurkerever Wed 24-Jun-15 08:58:43

belle! Lovely to see you here! We have been thinking of you on the rmc thread and hoping you and babybel were doing ok. I was induced too, three weeks ago, and it was boring at first (though they let me sneak off to enjoy the sunhine in the park between monitoring) but it all kicked off in the night and baby Beth was born just after 3am. Good luck!! Come and update us from the other side. There is a rmc survivors photo thread too.

Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 11:27:22

Hiya lurker congratulations on your little bundle of long awaited and much deserved joy. promise I will come back and visit the rmc page. Beth is a beautiful name.

HelenF350 Wed 24-Jun-15 12:40:18

How are things going Belle, any update?

Belleende Wed 24-Jun-15 13:20:50

Grr pessary one hasn't done much. So 6 hour wait until number 2. Just need to readjust mind set now. This is going to be a marathon not a sprint.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:21:59

i "went for a walk" whilst being induced, to the local bettys, then to a friends to pick up some board games.
Yes fecking dull.

0x530x610x750x630x79 Wed 24-Jun-15 13:22:45

oh for anyone not from yorkshire, bettys = expensive special treat cakes

longestlurkerever Wed 24-Jun-15 13:32:35

Hope it's more of a marathon build up and sprint finish belle. I was already a week overdue so maybe that's why pessary worked quicker. Will they let you home and do you have your own room?

FenellaFellorick Wed 24-Jun-15 13:38:21

thanks

Huge sympathy. I was induced with both of mine.

4 bloody days. Then they had to break my waters and hook me up to a drip.

I was so fed up.

My reward was the gas & air.

Enjoy that while you can, is my advice to you grin

Funny story for you while you're waiting though - for my first, I was SO clueless that I took 2 giant books on Egyptology and a box of chocolates into the delivery room (when I finally got into the bugger-see above grin )

The midwives all pissed themselves laughing at my massive books and very much enjoyed the chocolates. I had them all popping in all day 'to say hello' and leaving with a choc.

Meanwhile, I had nothing but half a cheese sandwich all day which I then threw up all over my husband. grin

0x530x610x750x630x79 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:37:14

I was already a week overdue so maybe that's why pessary worked quicker. Will they let you home and do you have your own room?

i was 2 weeks overdue, i swear my son (who is 8 now) would still be in there without the hormone drip.
But if you want an epidural ask as soon as they put the drip in, much easier as you can stay perfectly still and you are already hooked up to every machine known to the dept already anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now