Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question...

(8 Posts)
MissTwister Tue 23-Jun-15 19:57:36

When they check urine at MW appointments are they checking for UTIs or just protein and sugars?

I have a slight pain but had a check just a couple of days ago so was wondering if I did have a UTI if it would have been picked up? I did a quick google but it wasn't definitive just saying they tested early on...

Thanks!

purplemurple1 Tue 23-Jun-15 19:59:52

Mine just tested for UTI's at the first check afterwards protiens and sugars only. Although they had confirmed with me I was with the dad still during my book in appointment not sure if that plays a role or the MW was just nosey!

bunny85 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:01:00

I'm 99% sure they do. At least that's what I remember was said on my booking in appointment. However if you have concerns I think it's always better to give your MW a call regardless... Hope your pain is just one of those pregnancy pains!

MissTwister Tue 23-Jun-15 20:04:24

I'm seeing a nurse Friday so will ask then....I have numerous pains of which this is just one!

Wendied Tue 23-Jun-15 20:05:48

They also check for a raised white cell count. I had mine tested last week and got a call from my GP to say my white count was raised which usually indicates I am fighting an infection. Apparently they'd tried to culture it in a lab but nothing has developed. He asked questions about back pain, raised temperature and any difference when I go for a wee. I couldn't report any so he asked me to do another sample for them to check. Just waiting to hear back.

I say all this as if you had a UTI I think it would be picked up.

BlinkAndMiss Tue 23-Jun-15 20:05:51

My midwife used these strips with different colours on them, each little box was testing for a different thing - UTIs were included along with protein, sugars and lots of others. If you tell your midwife or ring the surgery they can arrange for you to put a sample in without an appointment. If you think you may have an infection it's not worth chancing it, UTIs don't always have symptoms when you're pregnant.

applecore0317 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:11:29

My midwife picked up on a UTI three times during my pregnancy, all from the dip test at routine appointments

MissTwister Tue 23-Jun-15 20:32:24

Thanks all - will get them to check a sample on Friday when I go in. Am pretty sure I don't have one but will double check!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now