Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Gestational diabeties

(3 Posts)
Sarahlou72K Mon 22-Jun-15 18:53:28

Hi we were very lucky but shocked to discover our pregnancy at 12 weeks in early January. I have recently turned 43 and was told after my 20 wk scan that I would not be allowed to get to my due date as I have an old placenta and there is a risk of still birth and was booked in for a growth scan at 34 wks to make sure baby wasn't small.
I was then diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 wks, my BMI is 26. I was told by the diabetic team that I would have extra scans and probably be induced at 38 wks due to big baby. I had the growth scan at 34 wks and both head and leg measured at 34 wks but abdomen was 36 wks, weight 5lb 6oz. I have had no scans to check neck and shoulders since being with the diabetic team and was told when I saw a consultant last week that I will be induced when I get to 40 wks.
I am very confused and concerned as have read that not only my age but the diabetes can cause still birth at full term but seems I will have to go full term after being told 38 wks would be far enough.
Please can someone clarify the situation as have been told one thing for the past 9 weeks and now it has changed.
Many thanks, Sarah

PuddlesandMuddles Mon 22-Jun-15 19:57:19

Sarahlou I completely understand your worry. Why not speak to you midwife about it? I'm in Germany so it's a different system, but when I had GD I was scanned fortnightly in the third tri, then weekly from 37 weeks. I was sent in for an induction at 40 weeks.

PuddlesandMuddles Mon 22-Jun-15 20:02:35

Ooops, I posted too soon. I had to monitor my blood sugar after every meal and dd was a completely normal weight when she was born. I was 34 at the time, so some slightly different risk factors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now