Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

if all was well at 12 week scan can I stop all this worrying?

(6 Posts)
Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 17:45:56

I'm 14+3 and I had my NT scan at 12+5. Everything was fine and the results of my combined screening test for Down's syndrome came back and everything was fine.

Baby on the scan wouldn't keep still which is very reassuring, and was upside down which seems typical for me as I have a lovely upside down ultrasound pic. Although I was a little disappointed I wasn't given the opportunity to listen to little one's heartbeat.

Anyway, I suffer with anxiety quite a bit and I was coping fine until I was pregnant, and I've been so anxious about things going wrong as any expectant mother is. Due to problems with my OH I had some negative views on this pregnancy and I can't shake the guilt of every feeling badly about being blessed with a child, so I think that's fuelled my worry for things going wrong.. Like it would be my fault for being so stressed and negative and wishing I hadn't got pregnant in the first place. Of course those thoughts didn't last long and it was only ever if I was having a bad day and straight after those thoughts crossed my mind I immediately felt guilty, and still forever worrying everything is ok. I think because my pregnancy is unplanned (though very much wanted by me) there was a time when it finally sunk in for my and I had a "sh*t can I do this?" Moment. I know I can though because I adore this baby so much already.

What I mean to ask is, all was well (touch wood) at the scan and so far I've had nothing to suggest things not being fine, so can I breathe a sigh of relief and start enjoying my pregnancy?

I know it seems like a silly question but I've heard of stories of late miscarriages etc and I think I just want some reassurance that it's actually very rare. I think perhaps because I google things so much and read threads about it it seems like it's very common, when really I'm reading what I'm looking for, if that makes sense?
I know everyone worries to some extent I just wish I didn't worry so much!

SaulGood Mon 22-Jun-15 17:52:34

Your chances of miscarriage at this point are around 0.5%. Or a 99.5% chance of enjoying a healthy pregnancy if you put it the other way round.

I think, yes, you can relax.

However, I do think it's important to make your midwife aware of any anxiety issues. It will help with the continued care and your labour and delivery.

Negative thoughts and unplanned pregnancies can give you a skewed view of whether you "deserve" a healthy pregnancy but this is absolutely nothing to do with whether you will have a healthy pregnancy which is extremely likely.

Congratulations to you.

Brummiegirl15 Mon 22-Jun-15 18:15:59

I think really the main thing is now is to talk to your midwife about any fears you have.

Yes late trimester miscarriages do happen but they are very rare.

So try and relax and be honest with your midwife about your fears

Clairejessica123 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:22:35

As the other two posters have said I would try and relax. It is normal to feel nervous during pregnancy but it is worth mentioning to your midwife in case things get worse. I think most woman are nervous around scans I know I was at my 12 weeks but again like you have had no reason to think that my pregnancy isn't progressing nicely. However with my 20 week scan coming up tomorrow the nerves have returned slightly. Congratulations and good luck

TreeSparrow Mon 22-Jun-15 19:51:43

Congratulations, it's wonderful to get the first scan out of the way. You should definitely try to relax and just enjoy the next trimester. smile You can't control what happens so just try to live in the moment...that's what I keep telling myself anyway!

KatyN Mon 22-Jun-15 20:31:23

Quite soon your mw willbe able to hear your baby's heartbeat at appointments. I found that a massive comfort. Then it won't be long until you can feel him move.
I found that once he could move you can stop worrying about what effect your behaviour and feelings have as he's there wriggling away while you have a massive cry/eat a slab of chocolate. Etc

That said. My son is now 3.5 and I am constantly worrying about him!! My gp said that never goes.

Congratulations x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now