Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anyone have experience with three dc, each around 18 months apart?

(11 Posts)
Giraffeseyelashes Mon 22-Jun-15 17:29:26

Hi all,
DH and I fell pg accidentally second time around and have 2 DDs 18 months apart. It has worked out wonderfully and they are great friends and we are lucky that they are both low-maintenance and easy-going. So we've decided to bite the bullet and have a third DC. Our plan was always to have 3, but we thought there would be at least 2.5 years between each. Seeing as the small gap worked so well for us, we have just started to TTC -and today I found out I am pregnant! Wow!!!!!!!!
I can't tell anyone except DH at this point so I'm shouting from the rooftops on MN. I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But now, suddenly.... a bit.... scared?
Do any of you have 3 DCs with this age gap - or know someone who has? (DD1 will be 3.3 when youngest is born and DD2 will be 21 months).
We are financially secure with good, and relatively stable, jobs and our relationship is very good (of course we do argue, but make up quickly and are generally on the same page). DH is a great father and we are equal in terms of the effort we put into running our home. While we like to be "relaxed" about parenting on a day-to-day basis, we put a lot of thought into how our kids feel. We try to give each DD as much attention as the other and show as much interest in DD2's milestones as we did for DD1, we don't want DD2 to ever feel that we are "been-there-done-that" parents to her. And we will definitely do the same with DC3.
I am very aware that dividing attention between 3 will be trickier though so I'm looking for some success stories please!
I know the next few years will be busy and might feel relentless at times, but I'm looking forward to it as well as to the future when we have 3 "big" kids with their different personalities and interests all making our home dynamic and lively.
Does anyone have any tips?
As I said, I'm also just getting my thoughts "out there" as DH and I prefer not to let people know until 3 months pg...

fakenamefornow Mon 22-Jun-15 17:34:14

Congratulations!

I had three under age three, a baby, a 1yo and a 2yo. It was great and I don't think it was hard work either, seemed easier than watching the mums with more 'normal' gaps.

Tips .... don't know, just relax and enjoy the chaos!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 22-Jun-15 17:42:31

Congratulations! I don't have any tips but am expecting DC2 with a small age gap so shamelessly place marking smile

poocatcherchampion Mon 22-Jun-15 18:31:04

I'll tell you in 6 months! smile
I'll have a 3.5yo, 2.2yo and newborn. I obviously have no advice but we are just excited.

Chickenandpenguin Mon 22-Jun-15 19:12:37

I'll have a 3.10, 2.6 and a newborn at the beginning of December! We've a 17mth gap between dc1 and 2 and I found it really hard. Definitely paid off in terms of them being interested in similar things etc. kidding myself that as this age gap is bigger it'll be easier...ha. Though we didn't want to Leave much longer as didn't want the third being a lot younger for lots of reasons. We'll all be fine, congratulations!

Seriouslyffs Mon 22-Jun-15 19:27:06

Yep.
In one way it was great- they grew up together and now they're all late teens/ off to university and doing external exams together.
Look after your mental health though- it is relentless.

bippityboppitypoo Mon 22-Jun-15 19:30:56

I had a 10 month gap between first two and then about 18 months between middle Nd third. I have found going from 2 to 3 the easiest

tiggyhop Mon 22-Jun-15 19:41:03

3 under 3 here, ds1 was 2.10 when dc3 was born. 17 months and then 15 month gap. First 4 years total blur. Best thing ever now at 12, 11 and 9.

lougle Mon 22-Jun-15 20:25:47

I had 3 girls aged 3.4, 20 months and newborn. DD1 has SN and was a 'runner'. It was a tricky time but we all survived it!

Cherryblossomsinspring Tue 23-Jun-15 12:06:54

I'll have a 2.10, 1.3 and newborn in December. I think my DH is feeling the pressure but I'm just happy to have them close in age and no more horrific pregnancies and labour to endure once #3 arrives. I think we all manage with what is in front of us.

Giraffeseyelashes Tue 23-Jun-15 15:38:58

Thanks so much everyone. And congratulations to all of you who are also expecting
I'm excited but nervous - luckily, as both of my DDs are in nursery while I work, I have no problem with my children being in the care of others (PFB syndrome out of the window long ago!).
seriouslyffs, yes, my main concern is my mental health as I definitely need a bit of time alone from time to time to unwind and stay sane. So if I have a bad day and someone is prepared to help, I'd be more than willing to take a break from it all for my own sanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now