Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Grr...verruca!

(11 Posts)
Skeppers Mon 22-Jun-15 17:02:02

I have never had a verruca in my life, but now I have my first, right under my big toe. I picked up a pack of Scholl seal & heal verruca gel today after carefully reading the external packaging; nothing about it being unsafe for pregnant women, just unsuitable for diabetics, and it cost the best part of a fiver. I've just read the insert (fortunately before applying it) and apparently you CAN'T use it when pregnant! Might have been useful for them to put this on the outside of the bloody box too! Grr.

Does anyone know any pregnancy-friendly verruca treatment methods? It's been fine up til now but is starting to hurt a bit so I want rid.

hufflebottom Mon 22-Jun-15 17:04:31

Duck tape!

Or pop to pharmacy.

Keep that one though, if you're like me once you get one then you keep getting them. angry

Skiptonlass Mon 22-Jun-15 17:14:48

The freeze spray stuff is good. Not sure if it's suitable for diabetics though.

MissMartin10 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:17:12

i used to have a couple of verrucas when swimming all the time at school.. my mum got me a freeze treatment that you just apply its kinda like the canister for filling lightners.. it just freezes the verruca and after a few treatments it goes. . i don't know if its pregnancy safe but just ask the pharmacist while your there im sure they will advise yousmile im gna check my feet now after swimming last week confused

cathpip Mon 22-Jun-15 19:17:23

Banana skin smile, seriously works wonders. Cut a small piece off put it over the verucca, flesh side down and hold it in place with a plaster, pop a sock on and give it 3/4 weeks and you won't have a verucca anymore!

UpUpAndAway123 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:17:08

Tbh they will all probably say not suitable in pregnancy as they won't test them on pregnant women. Your doc may be able to prescribe you something.
I've had a verruca for about 14 years now and have tried literally everything! Just on my 3rd lot of cryotherapy as thought I'd give it another bash seeing as my gp surgery now does it and I don't have to pay private!!

Junosmum Mon 22-Jun-15 21:10:38

I cut my own out - takes about 3/4 weeks. I use toe nail clippers to cut the dead skin around it and a pumice stone or nail file to file it down, repeat every day until a round circular root falls out. Done several since I was 14 this way- hurts less than the chiropodist and less mess than the over the counter stuff.

Sansarya Tue 23-Jun-15 00:03:28

Get the chiropodist or podiatrist to dry ice it and then use a caustic pencil on it every day, filing it down every few days or so. I had a verruca for two years and tried every other remedy - Bazooka, banana peel, duct tape - but with this method it vanished within a couple of months.

Skiptonlass Tue 23-Jun-15 09:55:57

Up up (and anyone else who isn't pregnant) there is a cream called imiquimod which uses a local immune response to zap them. It often works where nothing else does. Ask your doc about it.

Number3cometome Tue 23-Jun-15 12:54:04

I had one for nearly 10 years.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

A doctor said to me once it is your body's way of dealing with the virus and no amount of creams / potions etc will stop it.

I tried literally everything, from bananas, to masking tape to freezing it off to cutting it out myself.

The bastard still came back.

I used to shave it with my razor so it didn't look so bad when on holiday.

No one in my household ever caught it, and it was quite small (hole punch hole size)

One day I looked at my foot and it was gone.

i'd love to say I miss it, but I don't!

TakesTwoToTango Tue 23-Jun-15 14:13:32

Original bazuka says it's safe to use in pregnancy. Check the insert. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now