Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How early can I have a scan done?

(9 Posts)
redbottle2015 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:55:49

Hi everyone,

As per the subject line. Just that really.

I am currently 4 weeks pregnant. First pregnancy.
I am already showing and was wondering how early can I have a scan done as I am thinking I could be pregnant with twins. There's a history of twins in my family.

Thank you all!

Leaflitter Mon 22-Jun-15 17:00:47

I think 5 weeks ish is earliest but sometimes they can't see anything and it causes anxiety. Early ones are internal too (horrid IMO).

Skiptonlass Mon 22-Jun-15 17:01:06

Showing this early is bloat - the uterus is still entirely within the pelvis, but, joy oh joy, your digestive system slows right down sad

the earliest you can see a heartbeat is 6-7 weeks. It's very easy to get the dates a bit wrong though and end up seeing nothing. I had an early one at eight weeks and saw the heart beating - it was lovely. Good luck!

diploddycus Mon 22-Jun-15 17:03:51

One place I went to said early reassurance scans are from 6 weeks and another place said 8 weeks. It should say on the website of the clinic you want to go to. Wouldn't have thought it'd be earlier than 6 weeks though because you may not see a heartbeat before then.

diploddycus Mon 22-Jun-15 17:05:01

Oh, the place that said 6 weeks was because they can go internal scans. The place that said 8 weeks can only do abdominal scans.

batfish Mon 22-Jun-15 17:05:03

I had a scan at 5+5 and heard a heartbeat but they can't guarantee you see anything at that stage - I would say best waiting until 7 weeks for more likelihood of seeing something. congratulations!

sarkymare Mon 22-Jun-15 17:05:57

Hello and congratulations!

First of all the earliest you would really want a scan is about 7-8 weeks. You won't see much, if anything until about 6 weeks when a heartbeat might be seen.

At 4 weeks I can assure you that you're not showing, just bloated. Even with a multiple pregnancy you wouldn't 'show' this early. The egg has barely implanted and everything is located way below and behind your pelvis, and will remain so until about 12-14 weeks. It's very normal for pregnancy bloating to looking quite bumpish and will most likely be bigger at the end of the day compared to morning.

I would be surprised if you're offered an early scan on the NHS to check of twins based on what you have said alone but you could pay for a private scan if you wanted to.

redbottle2015 Mon 22-Jun-15 17:21:46

Thanks everyone; I do appreciate your taking the time to answer.

At least, I have got an idea now! I am totally clueless and have no idea what to do.

Thanks once again.

whatsoever Tue 23-Jun-15 00:06:38

I'm going for one tomorrow at 7+5. The place I'm going doesn't do them before 7 weeks AFAIK (BabyBond).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now