Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

14 weeks pregnant, cleaning up maggots

(18 Posts)
Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 14:51:55

I'm on my way to a flat I rented out for part of the year to be closer to university. I shared the flat with people my own age (all mature mid to late twenties). Everyone left the flat in May although our tenancy ends in in July (I personally couldn't wait to leave and be back at my own home).
Anyway, one flatmate decided to go back and have some sort of party and leave without tidying up. Now, a few weeks later the mess has been discovered and we've been told we have to clean up or we will lose our deposit. That I understand, however when the party animal of the flat was confronted he has refused to come back and clean. I have complained to the accomdation which is actually owned by the university and we've basically been told to get on with it and clean.
Anyway, there has been an infestation of flies and maggots and god knows how much mouldy food that has been there for weeks and in warm weather.

I may sound really paranoid here but will such filth put my baby at risk? I'm aware flies carry some awful germs and bacteria and it just worries me. I did tell the university I'm 14 weeks pregnant but they seem to not care.
Just wondering if there's any extra precautions I should take? Or ways to stop the smell getting to me?

TreeSparrow Mon 22-Jun-15 15:14:57

Rubber gloves, open all the windows and doors.

You're biggest risk, I imagine, would be from cleaning products. Use vinegar and lemon juice instead if you're paranoid, or you clean up all the mess and get your other housemates to do the disinfecting bit.

I think so long as you're careful not to deeply inhale anything and the room is well ventilated you'll be fine.

ceebelle83 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:31:45

Shame on the filthy f**ker who left the mess and is refusing to even help you clean it!! You poor thing!

Second the PP who says to try and use natural cleaning products. Hope you get it done quickly and it doesn't knacker you too much flowers

Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 16:04:31

Thank you TreeSparrow thankfully my friends dealt with the harsh cleaning products before I got there. Although they have set my asthma off.
Thank you ceebelle my hormonal self is going to write him a very strong worded message about how lazy he is!
I've never seen so much mouldy food in my life! Someone had been sick in the sink and left it there for weeks but thankfully that was gone by the time i arrived thanks to the other women I lived with!

Buttercup27 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:07:16

I would wear a face mask and gloves and open all the windows etc.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 22-Jun-15 16:08:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squizita Mon 22-Jun-15 16:22:53

Wear gloves, it will be fine. smile Just wash thoroughly afterwards. It's yuk but not life threatening (I was horribly anxious when pregnant and still am to some extent ).

What a knob making that filth though. angry angry

Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 16:24:39

Oh we have we've photographed everything! Unfortunately there's not much we can do but try and make him feel guilty really. Unforunately I think this is what happens when you share a house/flat with people you do not know. Luckily it was for a small part of the year to avoid constant travelling on my part but I think I'd have preferred to commute longer now.

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:30:05

I'd pay someone else to do it if possible. Just because it sounds gross!

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:31:45

When I was at uni a horrible flatmate took my favourite mug then returned it after me hassling him with a massive pube in it. I've never forgiven him.

Bair Mon 22-Jun-15 16:31:58

I'd tag him in the photos on facebook.

KateRaeganandMichael Mon 22-Jun-15 16:32:41

Also, if you can - use a steamer! My brother had something similar happen when he was a CU and it was do bad that he went out and bought one. The steamer will kill anything without the need for chemicals although you do need to be very careful with it. I'd also make sure that you get some kind of compensation from the culprit. He must have had to have signed some kind of lease (not sure when its uni accom??) name and shame!

sarah00001 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:34:40

You poor thing having to clean up other peoples filth! You may have finished the cleaning by now, but if not, maybe your flatmates could clean up the really mucky bits?. Do they even need you to be involved if there are several of them? It's not a nice thing to do when your pregnant and possibly feeling nauseous anyway. If not, I'm sure you'll be fine, just wear gloves and a face mask if possible and keep washing your hands and also change your clothes when you get home. If it's any reassurance, I've had to clean up my dogs poo daily throughout my pregnancy and I haven't become ill from it, I just wash my hands thoroughly afterwards xx

Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 16:44:59

I never thought of a steamer I have one at home too!

I haven't had to do much thankfully, my two friends did the main bits I kind of feel like I'm getting in the way so I'm going to stick to hoovering once someone bring up a working Hoover..
I managed to clean out the microwave and bits with some lemon juice and vinegar etc and didn't need anything else.. Although at the minute they're using bleach so I've disappeared as there's so many cleaning products being used at the one time in there it's given me a headache, stuffy nose and wheezy chest but I think they understand.
The mucky flatmate had thrown away the filter and then decided to still Hoover up anyway... Why can people not do such simple tasks???

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 22-Jun-15 17:19:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 17:27:29

Yep! Well to one person he refused then to another he said he cleaned up a bit before he left.. But the maggots and mould suggest otherwise! It's a good job I don't know where he lives I'd be tempted to post them through his door!

its all nearly done now though so hopefully we'll get some of our deposit back.. I've learnt a good lesson from this as I was always the one who cleaned up after everyone's mess anyway so I think I made a rod for my own back

LumpyCustard69 Mon 22-Jun-15 18:06:47

Does he get his share of the deposit back after all this??????????????

Frillsandspills Mon 22-Jun-15 18:11:01

I would hope not Lumpy I'm going to get back in contact with the accommodation again and explain what's happened and who's at fault, the deposit is a good few hundred pounds I'm really hoping to get back to put towards my baby's nursery when I eventually get round to doing it, so the money would really help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now