Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Estimate Fetal Weight, current or at birth?

(9 Posts)
youlemming Mon 22-Jun-15 14:43:04

Does EFW mean what they expect the baby to be at birth or current weight?
I'm 34 wks and after a growth scan they have put EFW at 5lb and noted that it's in the 10th percentile and refered me to see the clinic, I'm assuming it's est birth weight as if baby was 5lb now by birth it would be nearer 8lb (going on avg 0.5 lb per wk from now on).
Assesment unit was really busy so didn't have a chance to ask many questions on what it all really means.

I know they can often get these things wrong so not overly worried at this point but just wanted to check if I have understood correctly.

RugBugs Mon 22-Jun-15 15:34:15

On my notes it means current weight going by that it says 1lb on a scan!

MrsAnxiety1 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:44:48

For my growth scan it was the weight of the baby currently, which they plot on a growth chart... Have a look online to be sure, but to my way of thinking, 5lbs isn't bad for 34 weeks?

I'd definitely check with your MW just in case they've got the numbers wrong, though if you also have the measurements (AC, FL & HC) then you can input them online and work out the percentiles yourself.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 22-Jun-15 15:53:05

It's usually current weight, it was on mine last year anyway. Were you exactly 34 weeks or further along e.g. 34+6? It doesn't sound quite right to me as DS was 6lb 9 at birth at 36 and was 75th percentile, so 5lb at 34 sounds about right to me. I'm not a doctor though!

AbbeyRoadCrossing Mon 22-Jun-15 15:54:54

www.babycentre.co.uk/a1004000/average-fetal-length-and-weight-chart

youlemming Mon 22-Jun-15 16:05:06

That's why I'm really confused as 5lb or 2.2kg in my notes for current sounds a good size to me but why then note it as 10th percentile and refer me for futher growth scans and to see a consultant.
All the other measurements they plotted AC, FL, HC seemed on or around the 50th line, the AC had dropped from around 60th from 20 wk scan to about the 40th but I would have though that was still within normal limits.
I was exactly 34wks on Fri when midwife measured the bump at 31 wks which was why I was then sent for a scan which happen yesterday at 34+2.

Was expecting a call today to arrange the appointment as it couldn't be booked yesterday due to the main clinic being closed but not had anything yet, will call the unit tomorrow if not heard by mid-morning.

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:21:46

It's the current weight. I had one at bang on 34 weeks and it was 5.5 which they said was about 75% centile so 5lbs doesn't seem small to me - esp if the measurements are all bang on.

RugBugs Mon 22-Jun-15 17:09:11

Anything below the 10th centile warrants additional scans here.
The centiles are really close together at 34wks, even at 40wks there's only 100g in between the 10th and 25th, that's 3oz difference!

bakingtins Mon 22-Jun-15 17:26:57

They use AC, HC, FL to calculate estimated weight so if they are all around 50th centile then weight can't be 10th. 5lb is slightly above average weight at 34 weeks according to the link posted above. I suspect someone has transposed figures when transferring them and I would ask them to double check the measurements when they phone about the appointment.

It's so common for this to happen and then they treat it as gospel truth despite it making no sense. My DD's birthweight was recorded wrong which resulted in her being just too small to go home straight away, and at another time her length was recorded wrong and they refused to change it when I pointed out it was unlikely that she'd shrunk 5 cm! I hope you can be reassured quickly that there's nothing to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now