Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pasturised brie

(19 Posts)
MrsSnow Mon 22-Jun-15 14:35:30

I bought some pasturised brie and was delighted until a friend told me that it was unsuitable in pregnancy because of the 'skin' which is technically a mould therefore a listeria risk. Does anyone know if she is right or if it is ok?

seaoflove Mon 22-Jun-15 14:37:02

The NHS advises that you cook it.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2683.aspx?CategoryID=54&

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jun-15 14:38:56

and its not the skin, it's the soft moist bit that could harbour listeria

scarednoob Mon 22-Jun-15 14:50:58

whilst I think it is very low risk - when was the last time you heard about anyone getting listeria from brie? - I agree with the PP. cook it til it's piping hot and enjoy!

TreeSparrow Mon 22-Jun-15 15:23:39

Bake it in foil in the oven with a clove of garlic stuck in it. When it's bubbling hot, take it out and dip crusty bread into it. Yummy! grin

pinkie87 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:33:34

Oh my gosh, not had brie in so long now and Treesparrow has suddenly made me NEED to have it with that description! Good plan!

Topsy34 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:45:42

I read somewhere that you could get listeria from raw spinach......

I havent eaten brie as i havent fancied it but i love the sound of baked brie....yumski.

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:24:21

If you're going by the rules then brie is out whether pasteurised or not....

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 16:25:31

You can listeria from pretty much anything - but certain things are higher risk such as soft cheese etc

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jun-15 17:00:40

If it is heated then it is fine

TreeSparrow Mon 22-Jun-15 19:00:58

Once you've eaten the brie, go out and get a whole camembert to bake next. That's also nice studded with garlic and little sprigs of rosemary.

Yes, I am a pig. The book we have says east lots of dairy. grin

MrsSnow Mon 22-Jun-15 19:22:44

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sadly I don't think I could stomach hot runny cheese at the moment. I guess I will have to give it to DH to eat sad

TreeSparrow Mon 22-Jun-15 19:31:54

Oh, sorry MrsSnow. sad That's rotten.

Marsaday Mon 22-Jun-15 19:38:16

My in-law are french, and funnily enough all the french ladies i know were happily eating brie and camembert while pregnant as long as it was pasteurised. I told them that in england we are told not to eat mould ripened cheese ... They just repeated that if pasteurised it's fine!

MissTwister Mon 22-Jun-15 22:24:16

Yet in France they are not allowed to eat salads or raw vegetables....

geekymommy Mon 22-Jun-15 23:14:10

In the US, they tell us it's OK to eat soft cheeses made from pasteurized milk.

ARV1981 Tue 23-Jun-15 07:28:47

Every country seems to have a different set of rules... I would avoid eating it, but if you're ok with the risk then go for it.

I sometimes eat an illicit runny egg...

MissTwister Tue 23-Jun-15 09:33:17

I eat runny eggs all the time - if they're lion stamped they're vaccinated against salmonella.

HazleNutt Tue 23-Jun-15 12:11:05

I'm in France and the leaflet I got from my doc did not tell me not to eat vegetables, just to wash them. And it did say not to eat soft mouldy cheese, even if pasteurized. I still do though, listeria is so very rare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now