Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Second hand pram do or don't?

(44 Posts)
Cheshirehello79 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:19:55

Ok pram dilemma !!! Firstly would you buy second hard pram? Secondly I've seen the one I like and will fit perfect in my car bugaboo chameleon going for limited edition safari. This beast comes with a price tag of £600 + second hand. Would you buy it considering the price and being second hand even if it immaculate condition.

I'm definitely going to get a new car seat so that's not too bad but I'm not sure I'm I'm going to town forfeiting that amount of money on a pram ... Help

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 21-Jun-15 23:29:15

Yes I would buy second hand but not at that price!!
Mind you I think it's probably worth more than our car so perhaps I'm biased shock grin

JazzAnnNonMouse Sun 21-Jun-15 23:31:09

Is this your first baby?
If it is my I suggest that in about 6 months time you'll want an easy all in one stroller and you'll hardly use the pram.

Cheshirehello79 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:37:01

Yes jazz it is :-)

MissBananaMama Sun 21-Jun-15 23:39:51

Agree with Jazz. I think £600 is a lot to pay for a pram brand new. I got my travel system on special offer with buggy, carrycot and car seat for £400. Mamas and papas. This is DC4 and I know I'll end up buying something smaller in a year and I grudged spending so much money but I had to buy new this time around. Plus, personally, the bugaboos look really strange!

MissBananaMama Sun 21-Jun-15 23:40:36

Just to clarify, I think £600 second hand is ridiculous IMO

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 21-Jun-15 23:42:28

We had a second hand pram bit and a new pushchair/frame. We got a new mattress for the pram bit and the pushchair was a lot cheaper new than 600 quid. We were the only people we knew who only had one pram/pushchair for the first 2 years.

MissMartin10 Mon 22-Jun-15 00:06:21

I've just bought a silver cross ventura pram/pushchair second hand that came with the isofix carseat base and car seat for £125... the car seat alone should have cost that much grin its in perfect condition.. in total when new everything i got should have been over £800! so id say yes to second hand but £600 is a bit much but its up to you smile

newmama91 Mon 22-Jun-15 01:18:38

Way too expensive for secondhand

newmama91 Mon 22-Jun-15 01:19:29

Way too expensive for secondhand

HelenF350 Mon 22-Jun-15 01:33:43

I would buy a second hand pram but £600 is ludicrous! My whole travel system including isofix base and car seat only cost £420 brand new.

HelenF350 Mon 22-Jun-15 01:33:50

I would buy a second hand pram but £600 is ludicrous! My whole travel system including isofix base and car seat only cost £420 brand new.

HeadDreamer Mon 22-Jun-15 02:54:51

I got a cameleon and am still using it for DD2. She is 9mo. I also have a mclaren so it's not true everyone will ditch a travel system for a stroller within 6mo. I prefer the one hand push and it's lighter to push than the mclaren.

That said I thought mine was £800 or so new? It depends on how new your second hand one looks. Mine is totally knackered from use so I won't pay £600 for mine!

Mickeyanonymouse Mon 22-Jun-15 02:57:33

It will hold its value, so you will be able to sell it on when you've finished with it. I used my Cameleon until my kids were three years old (for walking locally), I did have a one piece stroller in the boot of the car though. I loved my bug grin

chaiselounger Mon 22-Jun-15 03:00:26

Agree with Jazz.
Many people find that the snazzy-have-it-all first purchase is a pain!
After a c section, mine was so heavy and cumbersome that I got rid and went for a lighter stroller type at the first opportunity.

chaiselounger Mon 22-Jun-15 03:02:06

Or even if you don't go for a stroller, many people find fault with their first and buy a second.

icklekid Mon 22-Jun-15 04:19:55

A lot of people love their bugaboo so if it's what you want go for it. I love my mamas and papas sola which I still use most of the time with my almost 1 year old. We have a second hand maclaren but only for holidays /long car journey where space is an issue. Tbh most of my friends do the same so don't think saying everyone uses stroller at 6 months is true- maybe by 2 years...

flipflump Mon 22-Jun-15 06:07:19

I have used my bugaboo everyday for 21 months and haven't ditched it for a stroller. If it's the pram you really want then go for it, you'll regret buying something else instead. Mine is still in perfect condition ready to be used for baby number 2, despite constant use.

ludovica Mon 22-Jun-15 06:59:03

I paid £600 for my Cameleon new! That is a shocking price for second hand.

I used the Cameleon until mine were about 3. I did have a lightweight buggy too but I rarely used it. The Cameleon is very lightweight and easy to push and turn. I never used it off road though, as it was useless for that and I had a sling. In short, I would definitely buy a second hand Cameleon, but not for that price.

ARV1981 Mon 22-Jun-15 07:20:35

That price seems way over the top.

What's so special about the 'special edition'? Is it just the colour? Or does it have extra features and bells and whistles? If you're prepared too spend that much, have a look at new ones around that price too - you'll get the warranty with a new one.

ThunderboltKid Mon 22-Jun-15 07:22:00

That's really expensive for a second hand bugaboo. If you join some of the bugaboo selling pages on Facebook, you'll find limited edition Cam 3s going for £400ish.

Superexcited Mon 22-Jun-15 07:26:23

missmartin it really isn't recommended that you should use a second hand car seat unless you can be 100% sure of its entire history. If it has been in even a minor accident you might not be able to tell but it's safety would be compromised. A car seat is the one thing you should always buy new.

NoArmaniNoPunani Mon 22-Jun-15 07:35:27

I've got a stokke second hand for £200. £600 is a lot for second hand

Cornberry Mon 22-Jun-15 08:30:17

I bought a second hand uppababy vista off eBay for 350. 600 is a lot but I think as long as it's in good condition second hand is the way to go.

Artandco Mon 22-Jun-15 08:37:50

It's a great pram. We used everyday for 4 years (2 children), and didn't need to swap it smaller. But £600 second hand is loads. Ours was 'limited edition' and in as new condition when we gave it to a friend for free!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now