Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trying for a third??

(10 Posts)
Bellejournee Sun 21-Jun-15 20:43:37

Just need to sound this out and gather some perspective from you lovelies.

I've two children already - nearly 3 and 8 months old, and I'm thinking of trying for another within the next few months. My husband is supportive and kind of ok about it all, but deep down is happy with what we have. Me? As much as I find it hard work now, I have always wanted/wished for 3 children.

Am I confused? Is it my hormones? I'm not getting any younger. 38 soon and wouldn't really like to be pregnant much older than that personally, hence wanting to try sooner rather than later.

My mind is pretty set, but keen to hear from anyone in a similar situation or anyone who decided for/against it. Thanks in advance smile

MsFiremanSam Sun 21-Jun-15 22:04:00

Interested in replies as in a very similar situation. Mine are 4 and nearly 2, and have gone back and forth since DD2 arrived but hit 37 last month and feel it's now or never. Suddenly feel almost certain I want one more. Thought hormones might have calmed down by now but that doesn't seem to have happened!

fhdl34 Sun 21-Jun-15 22:15:10

Mine are 3.5yrs and 1.5yrs and got a faint bfp for no 3 this morning. I have felt very mixed about the whole thing, 1st two there was no doubt but I figured if we were lucky enough to conceive and have a 3rd I wouldn't regret them being here, but I may regret never trying for it at all. I will be 38 when this one arrives so I too felt it had to be now or never. DH wanted to wait for a bigger age gap but it's not his body that would take the further battering

MsFiremanSam Sun 21-Jun-15 22:17:57

Congratulations!!

Bellejournee Sun 21-Jun-15 22:35:22

Congrats! Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy. I totally agree re body taking a battering...I feel at 38, i'm just young and fit enough to take it and cope with 3 under 4!

ShimmeringCobalt Sun 21-Jun-15 22:41:27

I had this too and really wanted a third after my second child was born.

I put it all down to hormones and had sort of put the idea out of my mind.

I got pregnant accidentally. blush. It's v v early days and I'm still waiting for the pregnancy symptoms to hopefully kick in to reassure that all is well.

Anyway, I'll have a 3 years old, a 13 month old and a newborn.

Yes, I'll be busy but I'm so happy.

TravellingToad Sun 21-Jun-15 22:46:47

For me it was definitely the hormones... I had a 20m old and a newborn and it wasn't until the newborn was approaching 1 that the hormones calmed down (and I didn't breastfeed so wasn't that) then I thought rationally and realised the 3rd would be horrifically hard

Then 6 months later we are now thinking it through with no hormones involved and deciding probably to start trying.

So I'd maybe leave it a few months before making a decision to see if you still feel the same way

ToddleWaddle Sun 21-Jun-15 22:52:53

12 weeks pregnant at 38 with dd3. Have dd1 4yr and dd2 2yr old. It was now or never. Head said no, heart said yes. I think a third feels right though.

AmberLav Mon 22-Jun-15 13:53:01

DCs are just 4 and just 2, and i'm 14 weeks with DC3. i have always wanted 3, but 2 seems to be sensible! but i wanted 3! DH is 46, I'm 36, so figured it was better to do it now rather than later...

Issues to consider - we have 2 lovely healthy children currently, DH was less insistent, but I gave him plenty of time to opt out, I decided that we were not going to try forever, in case TTC took over our lives

Pros to now - DS starts school this September, so one less in nursery (I want to keep working, so that was very relavant).

Yes, I'm sure it will be tough in the short term, but I'm hoping that it will get easier as they get older!

fhdl34 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:07:36

Thanks, I am testing again in a couple of days just to check I really am. For all my to-ing and fro-ing, I would be gutted if I wasn't and misread the test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now