Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Birth ball advice needed

(9 Posts)
MissTwister Sun 21-Jun-15 13:41:41

A friend lent me her 65 cm ball which is a gym ball not designated birth ball. Everyone has told me they are the same thing but even though I am 5'6 and so it should be fine, when I sit on it my hips seem in line with my knees which I don't think is right.

It seems to push down quite a bit when I sit on it - I am overweight but also read this shouldn't affect this?

So my question is, is this just a crappy ball and do I need a new one? If so should I buy a 65cm one or a 75cm one? I need to sort this urgently as have left a bit late!!

X

MrsAnxiety1 Sun 21-Jun-15 14:11:41

I bought the 65cm "Natural Birth Fitness" ball from Amazon and I'm the same height... Ours recommends that it's pumped up quite a bit and my knees are lower than my hips. Ours came with a tape measure to put round while blowing it up so that you make sure it's the right size - have you checked yours? I liked this one because it said it could handle all weights and had a burst-protection thing as I was scared it might burst with me on it! smile

Whatabout Sun 21-Jun-15 14:18:09

They are the same thing, you may just need to inflate it a bit more.

MissTwister Sun 21-Jun-15 14:23:18

My poor husband has spent hours trying to inflate it more but whenever I sit on it my hips are in line with knees!

applecore0317 Sun 21-Jun-15 14:45:33

I got a 75cm from aldi for £5 and or worked great, although too high for me and I had to deflate, but full size it was good for my dad and husband

MrsAnxiety1 Sun 21-Jun-15 14:46:38

Did it come with a decent pump? It might be a rubbish ball as I'm no waif but my hips are definitely higher than my knees! If it helps, we paid £18-ish for ours, which compared to high street shops, was pretty good. Birth balls are definitely worth it tho, as we were told by our 'womens' physio - they're great for opening up the pelvis etc.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 21-Jun-15 15:03:46

I'm 5 foot 7 and bought a 65cm gym ball from Argos. The only difference between a birthing ball and gym ball is that birthing balls are anti burst whereas a gym ball might not be - although the one I bought was a anti burst so it's fine smile

MissTwister Sun 21-Jun-15 15:34:02

Thanks all I've just ordered another one recommended above as already hate the sight of this one!!

Cheshirehello79 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:18:16

Ok pram dilemma !!! Firstly would you buy second hard pram? Secondly I've seen the one I like and will fit perfect in my car bugaboo chameleon going for limited edition safari. This beast comes with a price tag of £600 + second hand. Would you buy it considering the price and being second hand even if it immaculate condition.

I'm definitely going to get a new car seat so that's not too bad but I'm not sure I'm I'm going to town forfeiting that amount of money on a pram ... Help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now