Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Craving salt?

(23 Posts)
bluewisteria Sat 20-Jun-15 17:17:20

I'm only 5 weeks and I can't stop eating it.... Toast topped with olive oil, salt and tomatoes...tuna, gherkin and olive salad...steak with homemade chips (with salt, obviously!). I don't normally add salt to food.

I can't stand the idea of sugar - chocolate, cake etc.

Does this mean anything? Does anyone else have any cravings?

fanjodisfunction Sat 20-Jun-15 17:53:01

I can't stand sweet stuff either, just thinking about it makes me feel sick.

I have a thing for potatoes, waffles or baked.

I'm 11 weeks though. last pregnancy I had a thing for avocados and the pregnancy before that it was tomatoes and I hate tomatoes.

TakesTwoToTango Sat 20-Jun-15 17:59:07

Happened to me in each pg (currently with dc3). Helps to off set the enormous amount of water I'm drinking and helps to keep my blood pressure a little bit higher than rock bottom, which can only be a good thing smile

contractor6 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:03:50

26 weeks and in last half hour have developed sweet tooth. Sometimes I think body craves what it needs. We need more salt when warmer... So embrace, but don't overdo x

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Sat 20-Jun-15 18:09:11

It's your body trying to counteract the drop in blood pressure.

During my pregnancies I couldn't taste salt at all, I was adding lots to everything to try to get some taste into my food (never add salt normally).

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Sat 20-Jun-15 18:09:41

I say pregnancies but I've only had one confused

Brummiegirl15 Sat 20-Jun-15 18:14:24

I'm all about the salt. Literally cannot get enough of it.

I am getting through 3 or 4 packs of crisps a day at the moment which is slightly shameful.

If it's salty and not nailed down I WILL eat it

I'm 7+3

LorryHen Sat 20-Jun-15 18:34:48

I've been obsessed with salt for weeks now. Olives, salty chips, salty popcorn, pretzels, nuts.... Everything!

There's an old wives tale about eating salt and having a boy and I'm not sure how true it is but I am having a boy.

Topsy34 Sat 20-Jun-15 20:46:26

Apparently if you crave salt its a boy. I craved it constantly with DS, this time round i cant bear too much salt....

ThreeFrazzledFandangos Sat 20-Jun-15 21:14:42

I had a boy too.

sheeplikessleep Sat 20-Jun-15 21:17:33

Craved salt (and pickles/cheese/salt and vinegar) with all 3 pregnancies. Went off sweet food completely (and I normally have a sweet tooth).
Boys each time.

Gillian1980 Sat 20-Jun-15 21:25:13

Completely lost my sweet tooth for the first 6 months of pregnancy, it's only recently returned.

I was all about the salt - crisps, ritz crackers etc.

I'm expecting a girl smile

Golfhotelromeofoxtrot Sat 20-Jun-15 21:26:17

I craved salt- I believe it was to balance the drop in BP.

Hippymama1 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:00:40

I wanted salty foods for the entire time I had nausea - up to 15 weeks. Ready salted pop chips. They are AMAZING.

ThatsNotEvenAWord Sat 20-Jun-15 23:02:09

Ah this is a revelation, I craved ready salted crisps early on in my pregnancy. They also helped with the sickness.

chocfireguard Sun 21-Jun-15 12:57:08

MARMITE!!!! On salted rice cakes...

ragged Sun 21-Jun-15 13:18:24

That's weird, I used to be a salt freak but in 1st pg went off it forever.

tinymeteor Sun 21-Jun-15 13:52:03

My first trimester felt like a 12 week hangover. Basically wanted to stay in bed and eat ready salted crisps. The salt cravings went away with the nausea and then the sweet tooth kicked in. That one seems to be more of a permanent change grin

bluewisteria Sun 21-Jun-15 15:16:47

That's really interesting about the gender!!

For both my DD's I just craved pasta and tomatoes, and chocolate! Now I'm the opposite....

Straw poll: Did salt=boy, sugar=girl for anyone?

Mummyagain15 Sun 21-Jun-15 16:18:20

I craved salt in both my pregnancies, mainly ready salted crisps!!

Both have been boys! I think i knew second time round id be having another boy because of the salty cravings!!

ragged Sun 21-Jun-15 17:32:25

I had 3 boys & hated salt with all of them. I had a thing about S&V crisps with DD, though still generally couldn't handle salt.

33goingon64 Sun 21-Jun-15 17:32:48

Me too. I had low blood pressure. Eat whatever your body craves.

Distracted15 Sun 21-Jun-15 17:55:16

yep same here, I lived on plain pasta with grated cheese and lots of salt for a few weeks, couldn't stand anything else! I'm more into sweet things at the moment though. currently 11+4 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now