Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scan at 6+2 advice please

(22 Posts)
Mrsmorrison13 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:22:08

Hi everyone,

It's my first baby and I am going for an early scan at the EPU on Monday when I'll be 6+2. The reason is because I had bleeding lasting 5 days last week which was quite heavy. I have had lots of symptoms like headaches bloating sickness and extreme tiredness. I have however had mild cramps like before your period comes so getting a bit worried. What am I likely to see at the scan and are the cramps normal ? X

Mitzimaybe Fri 19-Jun-15 18:27:15

It can be normal to get some cramping, there again it might not, which is why they are doing the scan. Have you had blood tests done? If your hormone levels are rising normally then hopefully all will be well. Headaches, bloating, sickness and extreme tiredness are probably good signs!

Try not to worry; relax as much as possible over the weekend. Good luck!

TheTravellingLemon Fri 19-Jun-15 18:29:51

Good luck. They may not be able to see much beyond checking that it is in the right place. If they do an internal scan they may pick up a heart beat, but it might still be too early.

Cramping can be completely normal flowers

Mitzimaybe Fri 19-Jun-15 18:31:38

Oh - about the scan. As it's so early, it's most likely to be a trans-vaginal scan, as they are unlikely to be able to see anything in an external abdominal scan. This means that they put a kind of wand, (covered in a condom) into your vagina. It's nowhere near as bad as a smear test, honestly, it's not too bad and not at all painful. They will drape a towel or something over your legs to preserve your modesty. But I'd recommend wearing a skirt so you don't have to take trousers off.

At 6+2 it might be too early to see a heartbeat so don't worry too much about that. But they should be able to see where it's implanted, if it looks about the right size for the dates, that kind of thing.

Mrsmorrison13 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:47:19

Thank you for all the replies and especially for the heads up about the internal scan I never gave that a thought and it would have been a shock. Nope no bloods tests as in my area you are only seen at the hospital and my first midwife appt is not until middle of July xxx

Frillsandspills Fri 19-Jun-15 18:51:54

I had a lot of cramping at your stage of pregnancy. So much so I was convinced something was wrong but thankfully all was fine. I had a scan at 6+1 and was able to see a lovely flickering heartbeat but I was told that a lot of people wouldn't be able to see that at that stage, so if you don't it's nothing to worry about.

I had some bleeding only ever lasting a few minute at certain times and it was nothing to worry about so fingers crossed for you that everything is fine!

try not to worry about cramping i had really bad cramps til about 10 weeks but it's just everything stretching to accommodate your little baby. someone told me once that if the cramps are mild and just like period pains chances are everything's fine, only time to worry is if they're extreme and you're doubled over in pain.

Good luck! flowers

mandy214 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:57:30

Same here. Bled at 5+1, quite heavily for one night. Had an internal scan at 5+4 and there were 2 sacs (twins!). One slightly bigger than the other. Told me you wouldn't normally expect to see a heart beat until 6 weeks. As PP said, some of the cramps / bleeding could be implantation and stretching. Try not to worry, got everything crossed for you smile. All was well with my twins.

Brummiegirl15 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:04:02

I had a scan last Friday at 6+ 2 and I had a heartbeat. I had to have an internal scan too.

They are very good at protecting your modesty but my advice is wear a skirt so you can hoik it up rather than having to take your jeans off.

Good luck!

Mrsmorrison13 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:02:18

Thank you everyone I'm very reassured by all the positive heartbeats at 6+2 I'm so so nervous x

Mrsmorrison13 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:47:27

Hi everyone just back from my scan, there was a sac measuring 5 weeks but it was empty. Sonographer was very rude and said its probably not a viable pregnancy or ectopic , ive to go back next week to see if any further developments x

LumpyCustard69 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:07:43

Some peoples' bedside manner is appalling, and a lot make me wonder if they didn't choose the wrong career path angry

I hope it's good news next week. From what I've read on here, some people have gone back and seen a fetal pole and/or heartbeat. But I'm no expert, so I hope someone else is along with a much better reply.

Fingers crossed for you for next week op x

Mrsmorrison13 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:23:14

Thanks lumpy, honestly so upset not by what he said because it's factual and if that's what it is then that's what it is but it was the way he was saying it and shooing me out the room with his hand hmm

Leaflitter Mon 22-Jun-15 17:04:21

Really sorry about your experience.

I had a scan which showed an empty gestational sac. The doc (it was a private scan so gynae did it) offered me a scan pic. Errr, no thanks!

BlueberryWafer Mon 22-Jun-15 17:07:21

So sorry you've had a shitty experience. That sonographer sounds like they have zero bedside manner! I really hope you get the outcome you want, if not remember mumsnet has lots of great support threads for this sort of thing. Sending positive vibes your way.

batfish Mon 22-Jun-15 17:11:59

So sorry to hear your experience, what a horrid way to deal with a potentially devastating situation - hopefully all will be fine but when they can't confirm that it will be they really should be much more sensitive.

Mrsmorrison13 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:05:25

I've got some pink spotting now could this just be because of the internal scan ?

WillowB Mon 22-Jun-15 20:09:03

I had a scan at 7+4 due to bleeding and was only measuring 6 weeks even though I was sure of my dates. Sonographer told me the measurements can be up to a week out so that would fit with your dates?
When I went back a week later the baby had caught up and was wriggling around with a heartbeat. I'm surprised that they've scanned you this early as often there's little to see. My EPU prefer to scan at 8wks +
I also had bleeding/spotting for a couple of days after my scan which I put down to them poking around my cervix.
Fingers crossed that you get good news next week.

Mrsmorrison13 Tue 23-Jun-15 16:50:12

Thanks everyone I got my hcg result day which was 782 to return tomorrow and see if it's higher

Mitzimaybe Tue 23-Jun-15 17:05:22

I've got my fingers crossed for you; really hope that you get good news tomorrow. I think 782 is on the low side for six weeks, but hopefully it just means your ovulation date was a bit later and so you're not as far along as you thought.

BlueberryWafer Thu 25-Jun-15 22:40:59

How did you get on, OP?

Mrsmorrison13 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:07:03

Hi everyone so I got news this afternoon that my levels are now at 152 so they have confirmed a miscarriage x

Mitzimaybe Fri 26-Jun-15 17:29:57

I'm so sorry for your loss. I found a lot of support on the miscarriage board when similar happened to me. PM me if you just need someone to offload to (although I won't be able to respond straight away this weekend.) Be kind to yourself; your hormones will be all over the place. Allow yourself to grieve.

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now