Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Going out with drinking Buddy's who don't know

(22 Posts)
dreamygirl25 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:05:09

Hi all, im new here!
And I am 10 weeks today smile
Its very early, but I am seeing friends who I only see every 2 months or so. They are excited about this night out, but don't know I am pregnant. They always want to have a heavy night, however I am not a big drinker so quite happy to have this excuse - but what's the best way to go about it?I can't pretend to drink as there are always shots involved. How should i break this news? By the way I am very excited about the pregnancy but it is early on. Got my dating scan letter - 7th July!
Thanks in advance xxx

tinyme135 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:14:28

This is what I do cause I'm 10 weeks myself and no one knows. I go up and always offer to fetch the drinks even if I'm paying or not aslnd pretend I have vodka coke cause you can't tell the different by looking at it. Get away with it every time haha xx

dreamygirl25 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:26:21

Hi tinyme,
I'm going to try and get away with it - its a cocktail place we are going to! Its when the shots get ordered I'll have to be careful!
Yay for 10 weeks! We can hit the Christmas sales for baby things next year smile xxx

dreamygirl25 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:27:22

Oh by get away with it I mean order cocktails! smile

tinyme135 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:55:11

Oh dear. Well if you get the cocktails get one what is just water and take it like it's strong haha.

I can't wait for the shopping trips, so going to be spoilt smile xxx

tinyme135 Fri 19-Jun-15 18:55:44

I meant to say shots lol xxx

Runningupthathill82 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:11:11

You're on antibiotics or you're driving...

tinyme135 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:27:04

That's also a good idea too haha. Why didn't I think of that xD

OhEmGeee Fri 19-Jun-15 19:38:48

Don't use the antibiotics excuse, that's like having a sign on your head saying 'I'm pregnant'!

BigFoxLittleFox Fri 19-Jun-15 19:41:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:49:18

Definitely not OhEmGee - you just have to think ahead and have said antibiotics in your bag. Everyone has leftover tablets in the drawer, right?

toohardtothinkofaname Fri 19-Jun-15 20:03:02

When shots were ordered I got the barman to make mine a water one! Wasn't pg at the time, just couldn't be arsed.

OhEmGeee Fri 19-Jun-15 20:27:18

Everyone has leftover tablets in the drawer, right?

Well you shouldn't. That's why antibiotic resistance is a problem.

Monstersinthegarden Fri 19-Jun-15 20:29:51

Are you bringing a dp with you who you can sneak your shots to?

dreamygirl25 Sat 20-Jun-15 00:07:51

Hiya, I just told my best friend of the group the truth. So I had an alibi and when I started getting really sleepy around 10.30 I had an excuse toleave early! Everyone else thought I was driving tho! smile

sizethree Sat 20-Jun-15 08:31:13

It's a bit crude but I've used diarrhoea as an excuse in your situation before. No one EVER questions diarrhoea. Say you've taken dinerhjng for it but can't drink alcohol as it will aggravate your tummy too much.
People always raise eyebrows at the antibiotics, urine infection, I'm hungover, driving excuse. But fit some reason the 'D' word makes people recoil a bit and ask no further!

tinyme135 Sat 20-Jun-15 08:37:28

I used that excuse the other day when friend wanted me to go out and have something to eat. Since I've been pregnant i haven't finished one meal and she knows I'm a big eater so I used the 'D' word and she backed right off haha

AmiL123 Sat 20-Jun-15 09:18:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dreamygirl25 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:02:33

Hi AmiL,
That's so cool, I can't wait for the scan. Been feeling good. Just extremely tired but no morning sickness really. How are you? Nearly in the 'safe' zone! Its my first baby too smile xxx

BabyBNumberThree Sat 20-Jun-15 15:36:19

you could say u had a big night out the previous night too and your still "hungover" that way they might let u off not having shots without asking too many questions smile

AmiL123 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:24:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dreamygirl25 Sun 21-Jun-15 13:29:43

Ha the d word is a great excuse! My partner told me if you need to get out of something only use one excuse, not two (ie. Don't say, I have no money to go out, plus I am tired) as one excuse is more convincing!

AmiL- yeah i heard that! But I went through a paranoid stage (my own fault, but no thanks to Google!!) of thinking about missed miscarriages but then i found out its only about 1% of pregnancies end in that so its nothing to worry about really!

Roll on the scan! Have you had your letter through yet?? Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now