Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby shaking/quivering in womb

(18 Posts)
sarah00001 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:34:43

Hi, I'm 38 + 4 days and for the past few weeks, my occasionally shakes/quivers in my womb. Sometimes my whole womb quivers for a few seconds and other times, it feels like she's shaking a hand or leg. Last night she was kicking me and suddenly she kicked me about 6 times in very quick succession, which is like nothing I have felt before. It doesn't happen often but when I told my midwife she said she'd never heard of it and seemed worried.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar thing?

Thanks, Sarah

Rosenwyn1985 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:54:43

Honestly I sometimes think I have a rabbit in my belly, I'm 31+1 and every couple of days baby will kick so hard and so fast. It feels exactly like a bunny that is kicking his legs to run! The other day baby kicked so hard I think it stunned him, he was really still for a few minutes then went back to wriggling away. My firstborn was quite sedate in the womb but even my husband is astonished by the strength of this one! The midwife said if this was normal for me then not to worry and it always has been. However, I probably sound like a broken record with this, if it's unusual or you're worried call the midwife! It's what they're for!

Number3cometome Fri 19-Jun-15 09:57:52

Yes mine does this. Had a scan last week and the sonographer showed me it was him practising breathing! Was amazing.

35+5

Hardtoknow Fri 19-Jun-15 10:00:25

Hiccups? DC1 had hiccups a lot both in the womb & as a baby. They made her whole body shake.
I agree with a PP, if it is unusual for you, get it checked.

Pedestriana Fri 19-Jun-15 10:05:46

Like Hardto my DD had hiccups a lot in the womb, and as a baby. It used to feel as though she was doing star jumps in there.

MissTwister Fri 19-Jun-15 13:23:05

I've had quivering for weeks - like a big doggy shake. I've also had what I think is pedalling where baby kicks rapidly in succession

Mulligrubs Fri 19-Jun-15 13:26:30

Newborns have a startle reflex - I think the quivering is them practicing this smile

IHeartKingThistle Fri 19-Jun-15 13:30:30

DS' foot used to 'judder' under my ribs - there wasn't enough room! After he was born he still did it for a week or two!

sarah00001 Sat 20-Jun-15 16:54:51

Thank you all, I feel a lot more reassured knowing it isn't just happening to me! I'll try not to worry as I'm sure my baby's fine. xx

LoveLetters Sat 20-Jun-15 17:20:56

May be hiccups. Midwife told me to drink camomile tea and it should help with babies digestion ;) it really helped!

FeelTheNoise Sun 21-Jun-15 09:31:59

Yes, this baby feels like a rabbit, hopping about! grin

Littlelady33 Sun 21-Jun-15 12:08:50

Yep sounds familiar for me at 35wks, I tend to tell DH that the baby is doing his morning star jumps. Weird belly shaking which as I tend to wear quite bump hugging clothes can look very odd - a woman opposite me on the tube the other day was quite startled!

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 21-Jun-15 12:15:42

I'm 34 weeks with twins so get some mental things going on! I know the quivering you're talking about I always thought it was hiccups then I get an arm pass across whilst being booted in the ribs. Oh the joys of pregnancy smile

Hippymama1 Sun 21-Jun-15 13:46:44

Like PPs, this sounds to me like when my baby has the hiccups... He doesn't seem to actually hiccup at regular intervals all of the time and they seem to make him a bit grumpy too as he has a good wriggle to try to shake them off! I'm 38 + 2 and only realised in the last couple of weeks that these were hiccups - before I thought he was just punching me!

Check it out with your midwife if you are concerned - they will be able to either reassure you over the phone or will ask you in for monitoring which will put your mind at rest too. smile

MissTwister Sun 21-Jun-15 13:57:45

Hiccups feel different to me - more rhythmic and low key. However you're right Hippymama in that the hiccups often set off a massive shake/wriggle!!

Indomitable Sun 21-Jun-15 14:08:34

DS used to give me a whirring, vibrating sensation. I didn't know what it was, thought it was him having a seizure or something (Midwife thought I was crackers & wasn't concerned).

When he was born, it turned out he would shake his fists if he was angry or excited. I think this is what I could feel. It felt very different to hiccups.

crumble74 Sun 21-Jun-15 14:57:55

I had this too, about twice, quite late into my last pregnancy. It felt very different to hiccups and kicking. At the time I googled it and some website came up with some strange "seizure" comments which worried me but DS was absolutely fine so I just wanted to say not to worry at all, they're just practising their amazing moves!

berrypicking Mon 22-Jun-15 21:28:53

yep I am 38 weeks and noticed this in the past few days. Definitely feels like quivering for a few seconds. Think I remember having it with dc1 so don't worry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now