Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Big baby or wrong due dates ???

(9 Posts)
irgmama Thu 18-Jun-15 23:45:19

I am 32 weeks pregnant today and had a growth scan they told me my lg was weighing around 4.5lbs and was very low down into my pelvis, also whilst doing the measurements the computer kept estimating to be 33and 6 then 34 weeks, they haven't changed my due date or said anything about it but know I'm kinda panicking as that is obviously 2 weeks difference and I keep thinking what if I go overdue and they leave me the usual 2 weeks over my due date would that not be very dangerous for baby ??

LittleBearPad Thu 18-Jun-15 23:51:01

Don't panic. Growth scans aren't very accurate.

At 34 weeks I was told that DS was on the 97th centile and would be 10lb at birth. At 38.4 weeks he was born and weighed 7.11.

Also weights vary anyway. The placenta function isn't related to the size of the baby. Speak to your midwife bout your concerns but I'm sure it will all be fine.

LumpyCustard69 Fri 19-Jun-15 12:47:44

My firt pregnancy they got my dates wrong. Despite having dates of lmp and sex, they went on first couple of scans. Due date based on my lmp was 27th May. DD was born 25th June because they gradually kept pushing my due date back and finally settled on 11th June, and then let me go 2 weeks past that before inducing me.
DD was 11lb and had shoulder distocia and erbes palsy (squashed nerve in her arm).
I'm not trying to worry you, she is perfectly fine now, and even after she was born she just needed a couple of physio appointments.
But, I would definitely voice your concerns to your midwife. Do you have another scan booked at all? If not maybe ask if one is possible at 36/37 weeks?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 19-Jun-15 13:28:02

Those scans are very inaccurate . Do you have any reason to believe you could be 2 weeks further on - presumably the date you have is based on a 12 week scan? Although it feels counter intuitive, those are much, much more accurate. Think of the difference in baby birth weight - you are nearly there so they can't tell gestation from size.

AmberLav Fri 19-Jun-15 14:35:53

Think back to your usual cycle length, your lmp, and then any changes that were made at your 12 week scan. then decide if there is a huge anomaly...

My first two always measured 3 days too big at the 12 week scan for my knowledge of my dates, and that meant that I was pushed forward on my induction date with my second which annoyed me, but she arrived one day before I was due to be induced, but she was already 10lbs 2.5ozs by then...

irgmama Fri 19-Jun-15 21:15:27

I have another scan in 4 weeks, also this pregnancy was a huge surprise not expected at all and at the time I was working 2 jobs and just got a bit sloppy with my period dates so I can't work out dates from lmp, also last midwife appointment which was 3 weeks ago when she measured my belly she said that I was measuring a week behind, so now I'm just really confused confused

FunkyPeacock Fri 19-Jun-15 21:18:54

Agree with others that these late scans are v inaccurate in terms of estimating the baby's size

I would go with the dates from your 12 week scan if you had one

I've known several friends who were told they were having massive babies but have then given birth to completely average sized children!

Whatabout Fri 19-Jun-15 21:28:58

The reason they date you at 12 weeks is for the first 12 weeks babies grow at roughly the same rate so the scan is accurate. Scans later on are +\- 20% so not very accurate. They won't change your date but if you are measuring very big might check you for gestational diabetes.

Roseybee10 Sat 20-Jun-15 00:37:10

With dd1 at 36 weeks she was measuring 37.5 weeks length wise but her head was measuring 34.5 weeks.
She was born at 40+4 at 8lbs 2oz and wasn't a mutant with a Tiny head lol so all was well. I don't think they're very reliable x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now