Talk

Advanced search

New panic!

(16 Posts)
Frankie72 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:42:31

Hubs took me to five guys (an amazing burger fast food place) to cheer me up! But the burger was only just cooked through.. It wasn't pink but it was only just browned. I ate it and now I'm in a bit of panic :-(

Someone please put my mind at rest?!?!

Frankie72 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:43:31

Oh btw I'm 7 weeks and very new to this whole thing!

AnythingNotEverything Thu 18-Jun-15 19:46:48

Was it cooked through or not?

Current guidelines do say to avoid rare and undercooked meat due to the risk of toxoplasmosis, but the risk is small.

Don't panic. It's too late either way now.

Current guidelines here: www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

Bellabutterfly2014 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:49:10

Hi Frankie, I'm sure you'll be fine, I ate pate and lots of French cheese before I realised I was pregnant - I was in a bit of a panick but I'm sure a one-off like that and your burger will be fine.
Congratulations!!!!! X

PotteringAlong Thu 18-Jun-15 19:52:26

It was fully cooked. What do you think will happen? 5 guys are not serving underdone food and poisoning their guests. In the nicest possible way you need to relax a bit because you've got another 32 weeks of this.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 18-Jun-15 21:09:48

What Pottering said.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 18-Jun-15 21:19:57

To be fair, it's not uncommon to get a burger that's rare in the middle.

PotteringAlong Fri 19-Jun-15 07:20:16

But this one wasn't! She says so in the op. She's worrying about eating a burger that was brown all the way through.

Superexcited Fri 19-Jun-15 07:25:12

It wasn't pink, so it was cooked. I'm not sure what you are worrying about. If they had cooked it further it would have been overlooked and chewy and not very enjoyable. If it was brown then it was cooked.

ARV1981 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:31:42

I ate rare steak two days before I found out. I'm pleased I did, because I'm not getting another one in a while grin

I think the guidelines say not to eat rare or raw meat as there is a small risk, but it's still incredibly unlikely to give you toxoplasmosis. As pp have said, a restaurant burger is even less likely to give you anything bad as they have to be super careful about keeping the kitchen areas clean. If it was cooked through (and from your op, sounds like it was) it'll be absolutely fine!

Don't eat rare/raw meat, follow the nhs guidelines but don't start googling what you can and can't eat - different countries have different "rules" - here we're told not to eat raw/runny eggs... in Mexico, apparently, they're told to eat raw eggs to bring on labour!!! So just follow uk guidelines and don't panic, the chances of anything nasty happening are so slim even if you do slip up.

MissTwister Fri 19-Jun-15 08:05:09

I ate steak tartare before knowing. You can't get much more undercooked than that!

batfish Fri 19-Jun-15 08:17:42

You'll definitely be fine, even if it was undercooked which is doesn't sound like it was - the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis are absolutely teeny. I ate a big platter of sushi before I found out and also got very drunk. And since I have been pregnant I have had the occasional glass of wine and have eaten a medium steak despite the fact that I apparently have no toxoplasmosis immunity! I did order well done but it came medium and I just couldn't resist shock

pinkie87 Fri 19-Jun-15 08:39:54

ARV you can eat rare steak as long as it is seared on all sides. I still eat medium steak now (30 weeks) and have all the way through pregnancy. Really, don't worry.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 19-Jun-15 08:59:59

Pinkie - that's not true. That was the guidelines but they changed around the time of my last pregnancy (2013). Quote from the NHS site below:

"Do not eat raw or undercooked meat, including meat joints and steaks cooked rare, because of the potential risk of toxoplasmosis. Cook all meat and poultry thoroughly so it's steaming hot and there's no trace of pink or blood – especially with poultry, pork, sausages and minced meat, including burgers."

I'm not scaremongering - I totally agree that the risk is small, but we ought to start with the facts so we can each make an informed decision.

MissTwister Fri 19-Jun-15 09:01:37

pinkie87 - it's fair enough if you want to eat rare but seared steak but NHS guidelines are it has to be cooked all the way through. I know it did used to be different but changed a couple of years ago. Practically raw steak is my favourite thing in the world....

Gray91 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:10:00

Frankie72 - I was the same when I first found out I was pregnancy. Totally panicked when I had a burger about 7 weeks into my pregnancy and I felt it wasn't totally cooked through, you'll be fine. It's always a worry at first but you do get used to it !

Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now