Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Do all your bones go back to normal afterwards?

(18 Posts)
Runnerd Thu 18-Jun-15 18:58:26

Third tri and with the big day looming ever closer I'm thinking about the other side and how nice it will be to get my body back to myself (not that growing a human hasn't been the best thing I've ever done, but 9 months is plenty thanks).

So once you've given birth and your body dispenses with the relaxin does your body put itself back together roughly how it was before? I'm thinking particularly of my feet and ribs that have spread and the ache in my hips when I walk for more than 5 mins. How long did it take for you to get your old shoes and bras on? Or were you left permanently bigger? Obviously losing baby weight is a very individual thing but are bones more predictable?

tia

creamoftomato Thu 18-Jun-15 19:05:05

Hmm well I was quite lucky I think in that all my aches and pains seemed to go immediately, but my ribs are definitely wider and feet maybe slightly bigger than before and I assumed those were permanent...

CiderRules Thu 18-Jun-15 19:09:58

Mine (ribs - my feet didn't change) didn't really go back until I stopped breastfeeding (5 months ago) but now they're almost back to normal. The pelvic pain went within a few days though.

GrouchyKiwi Thu 18-Jun-15 19:12:47

My ribs and hips have stayed wider thus far. (Though I've got two children.)

Have gone up a band size for bras but jeans size hasn't changed. I just look a bit more balanced.

OhEmGeee Thu 18-Jun-15 19:35:29

My ribs are still flared and my hips are wider after two DC. My shaper is completely different now, and my boobs are huge.

SingSongSlummy Thu 18-Jun-15 19:38:41

My feet grew half a size with DD1 and another half size with DD2shock. All my beautiful shoes are too small for me now not that I ever have anywhere to go out to now

meglet Thu 18-Jun-15 19:42:40

feet and rib cage went up a size. (weight was back to normal though).

hips the same, but I had sections. wonder if vaginally birth alters the hips, would make sense..

YokoUhOh Thu 18-Jun-15 19:49:06

I started getting agonising back spasms when DS turned 2. I couldn't move for days. I also had a 3rd degree tear and it's never been quite the same since blush

Runnerd Thu 18-Jun-15 19:49:50

hmm this isn't sounding promising! how about the hair that's sprouted all over my bump - tell me that goes away? confused

onedogatoddlerandababy Thu 18-Jun-15 20:00:56

Immediately after dd1 my spd disappeared and I could walk for miles no trouble (she was forceps delivery and my recovery was easy and fast).
After dd2, I think it took a year or 14 mths for the spd to go. (Very fast birth, 4cm to birth in 30 mins) Not breastfeeding related as am still feeding her at 17.5 mths.

My feet/hips never changed, not sure about my ribs, I think I still fit a 30 band bra...I'm going to have a measure once she's asleep!

Never had any extra body hair, in fact the hair on my legs practically stopped growing, sadly that effect has not lasted grin

GrouchyKiwi Thu 18-Jun-15 20:02:53

I quite like my new body, to be honest.

Can't help re bump hair. But my head hair has become even thicker and I think my forehead is smaller as my hairline is encroaching. Might be imagining that last, though. :D

GrouchyKiwi Thu 18-Jun-15 20:05:20

Re feet: a podiatrist told me that feet don't actually grow, it's more that arches have been flattened so feet appear longer. No idea what you do about it, though. Maybe arch supports help?

comeagainforbigfudge Thu 18-Jun-15 20:05:33

My baby is a week old and so far my spd seems to have disappeared.
I had terrible restless legs - more or less gone.
My skin was an awful mess of spots - within a couple of days it looked better!

I'm hoping the rest of my body recovers well grin

stargirl1701 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:06:04

Rib cage and hips both remain wider than pre pg.

reallywittyname Thu 18-Jun-15 22:26:55

The bump hair will go smile

My spd diminished a lot but never truly disappeared. I breastfed for a year and once I stopped it lessened again but got aches if I overdid it.

Hips and boobs didn't change but this time round my ribs have flared so will have to wait and see if they go back.

eurochick Thu 18-Jun-15 22:29:31

The gorgeous black tie dress I planned to wear last week tells me that my ribs have definitely stayed wider! I could get it over my stomach and it would have gone over my bust, just, but the bottom of my rib cage was a no go. There was about a three inch gap at the zip!

MamaMary Thu 18-Jun-15 22:32:58

No stretch marks after having two smile

But my rib cage is definitely bigger, I seem to be broader too, can't get into some of my old clothes despite losing weight, and don't think I'll ever be able to. My shape has changed. Maybe not noticeable to others though.

CarbeDiem Thu 18-Jun-15 23:27:02

Ribcage and hips never returned to pre-preg widths but feet did go back to normal as did the tummy fuzz, although it did take a few months for the sodding dark hair to go.
Shame I can't say the same about my multi stretch marked skin and over stretched muscles sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now