Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

third baby

(21 Posts)
BabyBNumberThree Thu 18-Jun-15 17:18:39

so I'm 12 weeks pregnant with number 3 and the number of people who've said "oh you think 2 is hard wait till you have got 3" and "no one ever wants to babysit 3 kids". I am absolutely aware that 3 kids will not be a walk in the park but this is coming from my best friend and sister in law who know fine well that I thought long and hard about a third baby so it isn't something I've suddenly decided. I don't know what I want you ladies to say but I think I'm just disappointed in their reactions.

theaveragebear1983 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:17:15

I'm having my third baby too, I'm 25 weeks. I'm getting it a lot, my oldest is 11 so I'm getting 'you'll have A teenager and two toddlers in a few years'....gee, thanks! This pregnancy is my least enjoyable, I'm much bigger and more uncomfortable than previously, and also all the pregnancy 'delights' have started earlier (eg back ache, pelvis pain, heartburn, stretch marks) so I feel really really pregnant. But I know this is right for our family, and I know and am prepared for this to be difficult so I'm not going into it with romantic naivety. All new babies are difficult, and this one won't be any different, but I'm hoping that I have benefits that one only gets from having had other children before that you don't get with a first baby. I just cut people dead by saying 'we're so delighted about this baby' etc, they tend to run a mile from a gushing, soppy pregnant woman! it's almost like people want you to say 'yes I know, however will I cope? My life is over....'

Momzilla82 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:23:15

m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7606662

I have no wisdom to add. But I read this today- as I'm pondering the idea of DC3 at some point.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 18-Jun-15 21:08:51

The lady that writes that is really funny. Read her blog. grin

I have three. Youngest is one. It is crazy, but mostly balancing needs of different ages. I find that the people who are dramatic about it generally only have two so I reassure myself they know nothing. grin

Congratulations thanks

BabyBNumberThree Fri 19-Jun-15 07:13:58

thanks ladies I've read the blog too :-)

ARV1981 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:42:18

I'm one of three and actually think a family is incomplete without three!!! I don't know that I'll get three as I'm only on number 1 at the moment, but just wanted to say, don't listen to these comments. I'm sure all babies are hard work, but with the experience behind you of having your first two, I'm sure you'll be fine. More than fine, actually - brilliant!

As for no one wants to babysit three kids - that's rubbish. I used to look after 4 for a friend to give her a night out a week. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Like you say, this isn't an accident baby, but one you've thought about, planned and want. Just smile sweetly and say "but three's the magic number".

Finally, congratulations on your pregnancy!!! flowers it's wonderful news. Xxx

BabyBNumberThree Fri 19-Jun-15 08:24:22

thanks Arv smile I'm the eldest of 4 so if my parents can manage then I know I can lol x

Summerdaydreams Fri 19-Jun-15 08:36:59

Don't you just love some people and their comments !!!??

I am having baby no3 too, 27 weeks along. we have had similar comments but also lots of positive. Like someone else said earlier, the negative come from those who have one or two so have no experience. Most who actually have experience of three, say although a bit chaotic, the third is by far the easiest, as you have been there and done it twice and it has no choice but to just fit in!!
My first two are dd's so we are also inundated with comments along the lines of " ooo I bet you are keeping everything crossed it's not another girl !!!!" (Grrrrr!!).

Enjoy your baby when he or she comes.

MustBeLoopy390 Fri 19-Jun-15 08:40:00

I'm pregnant with number 3 and my screen name was inspired by family and friends comments when they found out (despite knowing we were Ttc for a long time) we even get told how we should stop now and get sterilised as '4 kids nowadays is faaaaar too many' angry we will see how I recover from this one before we make our minds up xx

Grannyapple Fri 19-Jun-15 08:49:26

I've just had baby no 3 in October...had 3 under 4. It has actually been ok...hard at times but ok. We had a lot of the same comments. But it's been lovely & youngest now wants to try to get involved with the other 2 & other 2 are very patient with him. I do get the ocassional aghast look when people realise there is another child in the bottom pushchair of the pram, but I also have had a few older ladies tell me they have had the same age gaps & it gets easier etc.

Dc3 was a complete surprise & after the initial shock & fear of how we'll manage etc but it's been lovely. Has allowed me evaluate what I really want to do too...taking VR at end of mat leave in October at the mo & want to make sure DV1 settles ok into school in September & will take it from there. Good luck with the rest of your prehnabcy & enjoy your lovely new addition when they come xx

Grannyapple Fri 19-Jun-15 08:50:15

Apologies for typos...

Raveismyera Fri 19-Jun-15 08:59:18

I'm one of 3 and is ace. No people
Might not babysit if you have like 3 under 5 but you'll be fine with age gaps, and the other 2 can help with baby! Plus you'll be an old
Pro. My youngest sister had the most chilled
Upbringing and was adored by everyone

cosmicglittergirl Fri 19-Jun-15 09:08:14

Congratulations! People should really only say positive things to pregnant people! I'm guessing friend and SIL don't have three?
Reading with interest as I have two under two and I'm already thinking about number three. Lucky you.

AmberLav Fri 19-Jun-15 10:56:10

I'm the youngest of three, and I am 14 weeks pregnant with DC3. I think 3 stops the sibling relationship being quite so head to head (my two are often hard as they really bash heads - they are 4 and 2). I'm optimistically hoping it is easier with 3! But I have always wanted 3, so I have always thought 3 was the perfect number!

But I think we all know from MN that everyone has an opinion when you are pregnant, whether it is 1, 2 or 3! I'm not far enough along on DC3 to get the really juicy opinions, but I know they will come!

diggerdigsdogs Fri 19-Jun-15 11:00:42

I found 2-3 easier than 1 -> 2. It may be to do with their ages and that dd1 is in nursery 2 days a week.

targaryen Fri 19-Jun-15 11:04:07

Congratulations! I have three, not going to lie it is exhausting. There is always someone demanding your time or patience or needing fed or wanting clothes washed, but, five feels fab.
3 completely completes your family.

BabyBNumberThree Fri 19-Jun-15 11:14:15

I have dd age 7 and ds age 6 so they'll be at school through the daytime so that'll be easier.
my sil has 3 boys and to be honest I think she's jealous she hasn't a girl and I could possibly have 2. my friend has 3 kids, twin girls and a boy. so I just don't understand why they say it x

fattymcfatfat Fri 19-Jun-15 11:14:22

I am one of four, and I am 35 weeks with DC3. my mum said the transition is easier going from 2-3 than it is 1-2 and that because if the older 2 you get into a routine and what have you much quicker so things just fall into place without too much hard work.
I'm 23 and this was an accidental baby as my DD was only 10 months when I caught. and I was using contraception. I considered sterilisation but my mum talked me out if it. she had it done after four and has regretted it since, she doesn't want me in ten years time to want another but not be able to. she has made me promise I won't have another for at least 5 years though grin

if you feel ready then go for it. no one should be badmouthing you. as I said I'm 23 and my mum has done nothing but hold my hand and tell me it will be ok. good luck everyone

iamnotaponceyloudperson Fri 19-Jun-15 11:15:56

I've got 3. In hindsight the first year was really hard but equally the little years really whizzed by 3rd time around. Mine are almost all school age now and they get on great. They mostly adore each other and I know its corny but 3 has just increased the love in the family.

Those who stuck at two do sometimes tell me my gang now makes them a bit wistful but I don't know if that's true as mostly, you know, people are just making conversation and don't think about what they say!!

Cherryblossomsinspring Fri 19-Jun-15 11:40:25

My boss who I finally got the courage to tell this morning said to me 'you know there are only 2 types of baby, a boy and a girl, and you have one of each'. I laughed and said 'it's my X (name of his third child he is deeply proud of and came after his boy and girl)'. He laughed and said X was an accident. Lol, he's a good sort really and means no harm. Glad I've finally told him but do feel uneasy that he wasn't exactly thrilled. Well that's life.

vegangirl Fri 19-Jun-15 12:33:31

i'm the youngest of 5 and my eldest brother has 5 kids...... needless to say i want a big family too! (and I babysit all the time)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now