Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to use? Paranoid!!! Help!!!

(16 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Thu 18-Jun-15 16:54:52

I'm 33+5 and getting hospital bag ready. Been reaching loads in to what products to use on baby (oil, powder, lotion, soap) a lot of what I have read says not to use any johnsons products in the beginning.... Why??? Thought johnsons is meant to be best. Well since then I'm being really paranoid & really unsure on to what I am meant to use instead? I have really sensitive skin, so baby might to. Any suggestions pls

MumToBe2015R Thu 18-Jun-15 16:55:21

Been Reading**

PotteringAlong Thu 18-Jun-15 16:57:30

Don't use anything on them other than water. Olive oil is good if they're a bit dry skin-y but that's it.

AnnieLewis Thu 18-Jun-15 17:02:03

Hi, don't worry its pretty overwhelming isn't it! In the early days you really only need warm water and soft flannel/bamboo cloths or cotton wool. Babys skin is very sensitive anyway and you will probably find your baby get quite flaky skin on its wrists and ankles particularly. I was advised to just use olive oil to be honest by the midwife.

If you read the ingredients on the back of most Johnsons products and wipes etc its enough to make you think twice. You will inevitably end up using wetwipes at some point once you're up and about but I have always ended up using organic or biodegradable ones as they tend to be less chemical based.

You'll figure it out as you go along, don't panic. Babies actually need very little 'stuff' to start off with! Good luck (I'm also 33+1 but its baby#3)

applecore0317 Thu 18-Jun-15 17:12:57

Yep, Midwife and NCT course just said water and cotton wool. I use olive oil as her skin is flaky on her hands and arms. Other than that nothing else. You also don't bath them until the cord has fallen off.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 18-Jun-15 17:14:21

They don't need any products in the beginning, just water smile

sarkymare Thu 18-Jun-15 17:55:17

Yep just plain water for baths at first works a treat. As a PP said olive oil works great for dry skin, much much better than baby oil.

You don't actually need many lotions and potions at all. I have baskets full of the stuff I was given and have never used. I think baby lotion is the only things I've occasionally used.

I will say though that a good barrier cream is a must. Not only does it protect babies bum from getting sore but the barrier it creates stops the poo from welding to the skin so much too.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Thu 18-Jun-15 17:57:52

I'm planning to use just water at first but I have some Childs Farm products to use at a later date. It's approved for use with newborns and is safe for eczema/sensitive skin.

OhEmGeee Thu 18-Jun-15 19:37:19

Just water and olive oil if needed. Powder is definitely not recommended anymore

CultureSucksDownWords Thu 18-Jun-15 19:45:21

We didn't use anything at all, just water, until much older when we started to use a very mild baby wash in the bath (not Johnsons). Their skin is really much better off without anything on it.

TinyMonkey Thu 18-Jun-15 20:32:12

I was advised to take a little bottle of olive oil into hospital, to help get the meconium off the baby for the first few nappy changes. Worked a treat.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 18-Jun-15 21:06:10

Yup.Just water, and oil if necessary.

Never use powder. You shouldn't need lotion. Later on use gentle body wash.smile

LostMySocks Thu 18-Jun-15 22:44:34

DS is 20months. Still only use water and the heavy duty moisturiser from the doctor to control his ecsthma. Powder can be useful as a last resort on older babies and toddlers to deal with extreme nappy rash. It was the only thing (prescription creams included) that sorted out DN'a bum.

BlueBee Thu 18-Jun-15 23:06:39

May I ask, is it a special sort of olive oil? Or the stuff in my kitchen? God I know nothing blush

applecore0317 Thu 18-Jun-15 23:08:52

My health visitor went through it after she was born, so try not to worry.

Normal Olive oil that you would use in cooking smile

m33r Fri 19-Jun-15 05:28:43

If it makes you feel better, you can get olive oil from the pharmacy too. I knew nothing!!! I went to pharmacy about cradle cap and the pharmacist advised olive oil but then didn't move so I had the while 'seriously cooking oil' in the middle of boots <mortified>. She gave me the pharmacy stuff but said that the only issue with the cooking oil would be the smell.

For the record, I ised about two drops to get rid of cradle cap but other than that used only water to about 10 weeks where I switched to water wipes for nappy changes. Other than that I only use sudocream care and protect occasionally and water.

Don't buy stuff! You'll be inundated and hardly use anything!

Good luck! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now