Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any stories on being told the wrong sex?

(23 Posts)
MummyPiggy87 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:50:28

We had a 17 week scan and was told we were having a girl which I'm very excited about, but before getting too excited and going out to buy a couple of bits, had anyone been told wrong? This was a private paid for scan

MummyPiggy87 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:51:20

... just wanted to add, the went to the bottom area and her words were "there's no dangly bits, it's a girl"

BlueBananas Wed 17-Jun-15 15:57:48

My friend was having a girl last year, everything was pink and yep she had a boy!
All of the pictures from the hospital he is wearing pink babygro's & hats and I think his room is still pink

springsprang Wed 17-Jun-15 16:09:56

Yes, lots smile

spillyobeans Wed 17-Jun-15 16:12:12

Im due tomorrow so dont know yet! At 20 week scan we were told baby is a boy - we keep joking that if it ends up being a girl she will just have a be very tomboyish for the first 6 months untill she wears all the boyish clothes smile

WhenYouGottaGo Wed 17-Jun-15 16:12:49

I was told the wrong sex at birth. The doctor said "It's a boy!........ Errrrrr....... No it's not!"

Finola1step Wed 17-Jun-15 16:16:49

My mum was told that I was going to be a boy. She had decided to call me David. At birth, she discovered that I was in fact a girl. I am not called David grin. My Nan named me based on a film she had been watching the night before I was born. But this was in the 70s. I think scans are now far more accurate.

Just don't go pink crazy.

Mummyagain15 Wed 17-Jun-15 16:27:25

With my first we had gender scan at 16 weeks and was very clearly a boy.. Me and my mum spotted it before the sonographer told us! My partner was a bit clueless didn't really know what he was looking at! Anyway he did turn out to be a boy! This time had gender scan at 17 weeks and told again its a boy! A few days before this gender scan i saw my midwife who said she had a lady who had gender scan at 16-17weeks and was told boy, then at 20 weeks told girl! So i suppose it could always happen!

I have my 20 week scan next week so will be asking if they can tell the sex! Just to double check!!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 17-Jun-15 16:31:19

I know 2 people who were told the wrong sex, one of the reasons I didn't want to be told tbh.

Whatabout Wed 17-Jun-15 16:59:08

My two year old was supposed to be a girl. He isn't. The one occupying my womb waved his penis at us so that is more obvious ;-)

FluffyJawsOfDoom Wed 17-Jun-15 17:20:30

Someone in my birth group was told boy at 20w and was just told girl at 38w, she's not had it yet so who knows!

tumbletumble Wed 17-Jun-15 17:21:53

I don't know anyone who's been told wrong at a 20-week scan (although I do know someone who was told wrong at a 12-week scan).

RevoltingPeasant Wed 17-Jun-15 17:22:25

DD was a boy at 20w.

She was called Freddie.

By 33w repeat anomaly scan, she'd changed her mind! grin

Mayvis Wed 17-Jun-15 17:25:18

Yep. Someone told girl at 20 weeks, then found out it was a boy at at 36 weeks.

Brummiegirl15 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:44:47

Yep and only recently. My friend was told at 20 wks she was having a girl and so she bought all girly stuff (imagine everything pink and frilly)

The baby turned up, gorgeous and healthy, with meat and two veg!! grin

ProbablyMe Wed 17-Jun-15 18:53:37

I was told I was having a girl at 20 weeks. Three weeks later after an amnio test I was told she was a he! For the three weeks in between I had a recurring dream where I had a girl that turned into a boy after a few months. Very odd!! Tbh he does have three older brothers so this may have influenced that!!

MummyPiggy87 Wed 17-Jun-15 18:59:38

Oh wowza! I'm waiting till my 20week scan now I think, just in case!! Thanks everyone for replying

lostlalaloopsy Wed 17-Jun-15 19:01:24

My colleague was told she was having a little girl at 20 week scan, she got quite the surprise when a little boy popped out!!

Apparently it's more common for the boys to be mistaken for girls.

Cornberry Wed 17-Jun-15 19:26:01

I've heard several stories about the sex being wrong. At my 20 week scan we were told it looks like a girl. I asked if she was sure ans she said we never say for sure so I'm prepared for it to be both. We have just not bought anything girly. You can get neutral coloured babygros etc so maybe just do that. Apparently they more often get it wrong when they say girl and it turns out to be a boy, because if they say boy it means they seen the genitals whereas with the prediction of a girl sometimes they just couldn't see it.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 17-Jun-15 20:02:07

I know a few people this has happened too. One found out at a later scan and another at birth!
At both of my 20 week scans it's been obvious though, despite me not wanting to know. Both DS and DD-to-be had their feet by their head and parts facing the camera, so if you have an exhibitionist child it'll be obvious grin

ToddleWaddle Wed 17-Jun-15 20:37:51

I know someone who was told a girl ,had full blown pink baby shower etc.
Turned into a boy dressed in pink!

TheJunctionBaby Wed 17-Jun-15 20:46:56

I'm a bit alarmed at the number of boys mistaken or girls! I've been told a girl (at 20 week scan) and, though I'm not into lots of pink, the clothes I have are definitely more girly. I was told that it's easier to tell that something is there rather than that it isn't, so hopefully they got it right with me!!! Though ds would be over the moon...

hyperspacebug Wed 17-Jun-15 20:51:56

Technically ultrasound technician should not say 'a girl' purely based on absence of dangly bits, they should be looking for clear lines too. I am struggling to see how mistakes can happen - after seeing distinct dangly bits two occasions the girl scan definitely looked very different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now