Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Subchorionic hematoma support+experiences

(10 Posts)
goodnessgraciousgouda Wed 17-Jun-15 15:24:32

Hello all,

SCH seems to be another of those pregnancy things that you literally never hear about until it happens to you or someone close to you, and I've found there is really limited information online about it.

I thought it would be nice to have some support online for anyone going through it at the moment - it's pretty awful finding that you are gushing with blood whilst pregnant after all. The advice also seems to be so very...unhelpful, that maybe sharing experiences here would be more useful.

After a substantial bleed at 11 weeks (and, like many others, being convinced I was miscarrying) I was diagnosed as having SCH, measuring at 7mm thickness. I have no clue if that's big or small. I have been told no sex, and no "strenuous exercise" for one week at which point they will do another emergency scan to check for progress.

Lemondrizzletwunt Wed 17-Jun-15 16:16:55

flowers Gouda

I'm not sure what you've googled and what you haven't, but I found this to be informative: emedicine.medscape.com/article/404971-overview particularly the citations towards the beginning.

This is also good and discusses size: radiopaedia.org/articles/subchorionic-haemorrhage-2 and this one should hopefully bring you some comfort www.obgynnews.com/home/article/miscarriage-risk-is-not-increased-with-subchorionic-hematoma/a0ee81fab6bef4e34d68d815eadc9cda.html

I'm in your neck of the woods w/c 29/6, do you want to meet up?

Fatty12 Wed 17-Jun-15 16:42:17

Hi

Can I just say I had the same at 12 weeks! And I am now 24 weeks and it hasn't caused issues since. I can't remember the size of mine but recall the nurse saying its quite big but it'll just clear away itself which it has.

Keep positive, it'll be fine hopefully! smile

bigkicks Wed 17-Jun-15 20:28:51

I had a massive bleed at 19 weeks, they discovered a 30mm sub. hematoma, and I was told I would either bleed some more or it would reabsorb. I am now 35 weeks and have had no more bleeding so far, and all is well with the baby (fingers crossed). 7mm sounds very small and I'm sure you'll be fine, apparently it's a lot more common than you think, but horribly scary at the time! Just rest as much as possible, and like you said, no sex unfortunately. Hopefully by the next scan it will have reabsorbed, good luck!

EddieVeddersfoxymop Wed 17-Jun-15 20:33:10

My subchorionic haematoma baby is now sitting beside me, wolfing down toast and refusing to go to bed after brownies. Mine was huge, but positioned away from DD so she wasn't knocked out by the repeated gushing bleeds I had ( was bleeding more or less constantly from 6 weeks to 17 weeks, with 3 admissions for huge bleeds).

It can be ok, just take it easy!

Boco2 Thu 18-Jun-15 09:21:41

Hi, I had one early on which caused bleeding. I thought I was having a miscarriage again. It was all fine at the 12 week scan and hasn't been mentioned since. They are clearly not worried about it. Best of luck with your pregnancy!

goodnessgraciousgouda Thu 18-Jun-15 09:47:22

lemon drizzle - I will PM you :-D

Thanks for the links - I had actually already found those two, and they weren't the most reassuring! Talking about higher risks to the pregnancy if the SCH wasn't asymptomatic (as mine wasn't), and then risks later on in the pregnancy as well.... confused

Fatty - That's interesting to hear your experience - I'm glad that yours seemed to clear up quickly. Maybe the medical staff's attitude is what worried me in that case - they were very helpful, but really did present the situation as "it could get better, it could cause a miscarriage, we just have to wait and see". Boco - same with you! - it's just so weird the different attitudes that different doctors take on the same issue.

bigkicks - wow, 30mm sounds pretty big! Did they monitor your pregnancy more closely after it was discovered?

Thanks all, it's reassuring to see that other's have had this and gone on to have normal pregnancies.

bigkicks Thu 18-Jun-15 20:56:14

No extra monitoring, they actually seemed really relaxed about it (I was not!) and said there isn't anything they could do about it, and described it as as small so I guess they must see bigger. Though I was already 19 weeks at this point so in terms of uterus surface area it wasn't much, no idea what caused it, but what a horrible experience!

brokencrayons Fri 19-Jun-15 06:30:09

I had one too, but absorbed by the time I.got my scan x

Fatty12 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:43:35

Yeah, your right the attitude of the doctors has a massive impact!

What she did say was that the bloodclot could have caused a misscarraige as it tried to leave my body but it hadn't.

Unless you have any more bleeding, relax and enjoy your pregnancy :-)

By the way, i wasn't told about no sex! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now