Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to drive until?

(46 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Wed 17-Jun-15 00:01:19

I'm 33+3 and drive everywhere. Question is when should I stop driving completely?

Thanks

coneywonder Wed 17-Jun-15 00:06:15

Why would you stop driving...??

Whatabout Wed 17-Jun-15 00:06:20

When you can't reach the pedals I suppose. I have never stopped driving during pregnancy.

Abodago81 Wed 17-Jun-15 00:09:24

I drove even when in early labour with my two. Unless your bump somehow obstructs the steering wheel, why stop?

AlpacaMyBags Wed 17-Jun-15 00:23:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sunnyawry Wed 17-Jun-15 00:43:59

Yeah I never stopped driving last time and drove (home) while in early labour. Maybe you might want to stay close to home at the end, so you don't have to drive a long way if anything started?

MumToBe2015R Wed 17-Jun-15 00:51:18

Wow I didn't know this! (Sounds so dumb) it's just its my first pregnancy & thought ladies should normally stop driving after a certain time as may be unsafe. But that's given me reassurance so I don't think I will be stopping anytime soon. Hehe.

Thank you ladies x

Cassie258 Wed 17-Jun-15 00:55:39

Mum to be, that's the ideas they seem to create. You may have to stop, apparently some people can't fit between the steering wheel and the seat but I imagine they are the people that sit really close. I read it in all the books. confused I also drove to the very end. grin

AlpacaMyBags Wed 17-Jun-15 00:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShadowFire Wed 17-Jun-15 01:04:19

I would have thought it best to avoid driving in early labour. Wouldn't it be a bit distracting (at least) if you had a contraction behind the wheel? V

Strokethefurrywall Wed 17-Jun-15 01:29:59

I drive myself to the hospital whilst in labor. You'll be fine! grin

madmother1 Wed 17-Jun-15 01:36:07

About 70 years old!!!!grin

mrstweefromtweesville Wed 17-Jun-15 01:38:43

I lost spatial awareness at seven months, so stopped driving to avoid killing myself and others!

Also, we had a small sports car, and it was difficult fitting me and baby into the driving seat.

madmother1, my dad's 83 and just beginning to think of giving up driving.

birkiekid Wed 17-Jun-15 02:02:54

I couldn't drive in the last couple of weeks of both pregnancies. I'm short and had a large bump, it just wasn't possible to reach the pedals.

IfYouWereARiverIdLearnToFloat Wed 17-Jun-15 06:11:07

I need to drive for work & I plan to drive right up til the end - I have long legs so can't see reaching the pedals being a problem - plus I have a student for my last 4 weeks of work - hopefully he/she will wedge me in & out if needed!! grin

Brummiegirl15 Wed 17-Jun-15 06:57:05

This is something that concerns me. I'm only 7 weeks so bit early yet but I'm only 5ft and a bit concerned my bump would have no where to go but out!

Because I'm so short I already sit really close to the pedals and there's not a lot of room left between me and the steering wheel as it is!!

This also happened to my Mum - she was too short and bump too big to get close enough to pedals / steering wheel when she had my sister

But I suspect it only affects short people who are already close to the steering wheel

contractor6 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:00:50

I was about to stop (short legs) and have about an inch between bump and steering wheel, then found out steering wheel can be adjusted.....maybe worth checking your car.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 17-Jun-15 07:04:10

What would be the safety concern for driving at 38 weeks as opposed to 33? As long as you can still fit you can drive. I drove until 40 weeks, drove the day before ds was born.

confusedandemployed Wed 17-Jun-15 07:09:17

My cousin drove herself to hospital because her DH had had a drink (with her permission, it was Christmas Eve grin)

It didn't even occur to me to stop driving. I was driving at 40+11 with no problems. I went into labour 7am the next day.

MissTwister Wed 17-Jun-15 07:09:51

I am concerned about the space between steering wheel and bump. I think it's just the car configuration as have adjusted steering wheel and everything but there only seems to be a small space still. If there was a crash I think bump would hit wheel. Any tips?

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Wed 17-Jun-15 07:15:42

This gave me a chuckle. I drove myself to my induction at 40+11 if that helps?

FirstOfficerDouglasRichardson Wed 17-Jun-15 07:17:32

And my bump didn't touch the steering wheel and I could still reach the peddles. I suppose if your bump is too big to have a problem with either of those then it's probably best to get someone else to chauffeur you around.

formerlyofLadysmith Wed 17-Jun-15 07:20:54

I am 38w and can't see anything stopping me driving in the next few weeks. Am 5ft 8 though so no problems reaching pedals etc.

BeaufortBelle Wed 17-Jun-15 07:21:44

You can drive until the contractions start. Why would you stop driving?

BikeRunSki Wed 17-Jun-15 07:35:36

I drove until about 10 mins before contractions started at 39 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now