Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Phenergan

(3 Posts)
confusedeio Tue 16-Jun-15 18:04:21

i am struggling with terrible all day and night sickness at 7 weeks. After many visits and much pleading my GP has put me on Phenergan. However, when she prescribed it she said, "I will give it to you but I am not convinced it is that safe. I would never have taken any medication when I was pregnant!" When I tried to ask her more she was dismissive and seemed unsure what dosage to prescribe. She has now given me 25mg tabs to take twice a day. I feel I really want to take them but I am scared. Please someone who has taken them before reassure me that things were ok and also what dose did you take and when? I will be changing GP as she also hasn't asked for any further tests despite my urine showing high protein, white blood cells and ketosis, and me not being able to keep any food and little water down. Excuse the pity party, I just feel awful.

tinyme135 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:12:08

Sorry to hear your suffering morning sickness so bad. I work in a pharmacy and I use a website that tells you everything about medication it's side effects if ot can be used in pregnancy and so on and this is what it says;

Promethazine has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Several retrospective studies have suggested that there is no increased risk of congenital malformations in humans with the use of promethazine in pregnancy. Promethazine has been shown to impair neonatal platelet aggregation when given during labor. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Promethazine is only recommended for use during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk.

Hope this helps you.

originalusernamefail Tue 16-Jun-15 18:19:56

I'm currently pregnant with DC2 and have been medicated with Stemitil and Phenergan (separately). For DC1 my GP (male) was very unsympathetic, he would say to me 'a little bit of discomfort is natural you know' when I was throwing up 12 + times a day. I was constantly ketotic, dizzy, fatigued, my teeth crumbled and I developed shingles I was so run down. It was the loneliest time of my life sad.

My new GP who is supporting me through this pg was horrified! She has said anything more than x3 vomits a day is a cause for concern and while no medication in pregnancy is the gold standard I had to be realistic and untreated sickness could lead to low birth weight or ante / post natal depression. Take the help you need and don't feel guilty. HG is soul destroying, hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now