Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to eat in early pregnancy?

(30 Posts)
BlueKarou Tue 16-Jun-15 17:14:23

I'm 4w6d and just starting to feel all kinds of queasy in the afternoons. (Morning sickness? Ha! Morning's about the only time of day I feel human.) This isn't helped by the fact that I work in a really hot office and so also feel extra stuffy on top of that.

I'm finding most foods I try leave me feeling even more queasy; but then not eating much during the day is all kinds of not good.

What can I eat/drink that won't leave me feeling like I want to throw up, and will stave off hunger? We do have fridge and microwave available; so I'm thinking of salads or soups for lunch. Mostly need snack ideas for mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Teeste Tue 16-Jun-15 17:20:30

I survived on apples, crisps and anything else potato-based. Also milk. Carbs do seem to be popular in the first trimester, but just go with whatever you fancy and can stomach. And congrats!

goldenhen Tue 16-Jun-15 17:28:36

Soup is a good one. However, I find I'm just going off things left right and centre. Today and yesterday I just want cheese sandwiches but all of last week cheese and bread was making me gag. So you need to be flexible!

Iloveonionchutney Tue 16-Jun-15 17:37:34

Not a meal but finger biscuits are good for easing the nausea.

Iloveonionchutney Tue 16-Jun-15 17:38:12

*ginger, I wouldn't recommend fingers grin

goldenhen Tue 16-Jun-15 17:43:00

Oh actually one thing that is a good snack is to make your own granola, mix up oats and nuts/seeds with melted coconut oil and honey (you can also use olive oil, there are loads of recipes online). Bake it for 20 minutes then mix in dried fruit when it's cooled. It's nice just to eat like trail mix, or sprinkle on yoghurt for breakfast. Much cheaper than shop bought stuff, plus you can put in good nuts like pistachios and cashews rather than getting fobbed off with hazlenuts.

BlueKarou Tue 16-Jun-15 17:45:17

Ha! I thought you meant the rich tea biscuits, onion - they're sort of long and finger-like. If you squint.

Thanks for the tips, all. I guess I'll be popping to the shops every time my tastes change! Will see what I can stockpile in my desk drawers. Ginger biscuits are a definite. Crisps too. I'm now wondering whether they still do apple crisps; I used to love them. Could make my own, I guess. There'll be instructions on oven temperatures and cooking time online.

Falconwolf101 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:23:34

Hey Blue- Twins due in December- I'm eating giraffe bread with honey and hot chocolate. Nothing like lots of sugar!

bippityboppitypoo Tue 16-Jun-15 18:37:35

Fresh watery fruits like melon n oranges to keep you refreshed

Brummiegirl15 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:04:02

I'm eating crisps and salted popcorn.

If it's a packet of crisps and not nailed down I will eat it!!!!
I've just been to Sainsburys and spent £7 on crisps. That was it!!!

I'm a junkie

On and 7 weeks pregnant so feeling your pain

GotTheKey Wed 17-Jun-15 06:21:47

I ate loads of toasted pitta bed with dairylea cheese and also melon and grapes are good.

lemon101 Wed 17-Jun-15 06:46:17

Oat cakes (plain to nibble during the day) really help with the ravenous pukey feeling. Also Marmite on toast was something I suddenly found INSANELY good!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 17-Jun-15 06:55:04

You just need to find something you can stomach! There was a very limited list of things I could eat at that time, mainly plain carbs.

Nottalotta Wed 17-Jun-15 07:23:30

It Will be dependent on what your stomach likes bury I agree, carbs are usually good for most. I felt VILE in early pregnancy and mostly lived on cheese sandwiches and crisp. Cheese on toast. Marmite on toast. Toast........ Couldn't eat chocolate or cake much either.

I did find sharp ice lollies helped mid afternoon. Sainsbury do a mojito style which are lovely i still have one every day

I carried Nairns ginger oatcakes in my bag and soon learnt to take food and drink everywhere.

ejclementine Wed 17-Jun-15 07:30:39

Satsumas were my saviour in a hot office with nausea. Good luck!

ARV1981 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:32:38

I only had one bad week of ms, so was lucky. All I could stomach was marinate on white toast and walkers ready salted French fries.

ARV1981 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:32:58

Marmite

Twinklestar2 Wed 17-Jun-15 07:34:16

Whatever you can stomach! I lived in lemonade, chips and fizzy sweets for the first three months!

Magicalmrmistofeles Wed 17-Jun-15 07:35:58

I pretty much loved on haribo and strawberries for the first 12 weeks...

newbian Wed 17-Jun-15 08:42:48

All I ate was carbs, fruit, cheese - couldn't stand anything else. It's more important for you to eat whatever you can manage, then try to force yourself to eat something you don't want and end up feeling sick or not eating anything at all.

applecore0317 Wed 17-Jun-15 09:14:41

Bananas are good for nausea, Also stem root ginger biscuits

Focusfocus Wed 17-Jun-15 10:26:18

Sparkling water with a splash of your favourite cordial. Mine was elderflower.

BlueKarou Wed 17-Jun-15 10:31:02

Great suggestions; I've started making a shopping list, so will go out and stock up on snack foods so I have a variety to choose from. I've got ginger biscuits with me today, and am tempted to get some overpriced ready salted hula hoops from the vending machine. Feels very naughty after many months of healthy eating! Will grab some pots of ready-prepared fruit to keep some semblance of good food.

I had porridge for breakfast and am already regretting that. I think anything dairy-related might be a bad call.

Tried making apple crisps last night and ended up cutting my finger on the mandolin, so that's off the menu!

MTWTFSS Wed 17-Jun-15 10:32:25

I liked rich tea biscuits.

But I found the best way of treating sickness was going for a nap.

Bishopston Wed 17-Jun-15 18:57:49

Anything with ginger in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now