Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

C-section - positive stories and recovery tips please!

(12 Posts)
nazbiotics Tue 16-Jun-15 13:44:55

Have to have c-section in a few weeks time and getting really scared. I suppose I am more worried about recovery as baby's dad has left the building so I will be home alone sad I have elderly parents nearby. My MW and HV are aware of situation and are going to support me but any practical tips that I could do beforehand to help with coping and recovery would be much appreciated

ElizabethG81 Tue 16-Jun-15 13:58:16

I had an emergency C-section and recovered much easier than I thought I would. It's vital to get enough rest and not overdo things. If I were you, over the next few weeks I'd concentrate on filling the freezer up with easy meals and making the set-up in your house as easy as possible - e.g. think about where you will spend most of your time while recovering, and have everything you need there, so you're not constantly up and down looking for things. If you don't already do it, get all grocery shopping delivered.

How much can your parents help out? Would it be worth you either moving in with them for a few weeks after the birth, or them coming to stay with you? I was also on my own and went to stay with my parents to recover. Although it wasn't ideal as I wanted to be home with my babies, it really helped my recovery and also helped establish breastfeeding as I had someone else to do all the cooking, washing, etc, while I just focused on the babies and recovery.

I think the most important thing is to go easy on yourself and remind yourself that you are recovering from major surgery, as well as dealing with a newborn. Don't do too much, too early, as that will set back your recovery.

2015isgoingtobeBIG Tue 16-Jun-15 14:09:44

I second that recovery wasn't as bad as I thought. Take the pain meds they recommend regularly as you get better control than taking only when you need it.
The thjngs you'll find difficult are carrying shopping, a full laundry basket and potentially the buggy so think now how you can do these. Laundry might be a good job for your parents to help with. Turning over in bed and getting in/out are also tricky: it is easiest if you roll onto your side before sitting yourself up swinging your legs over the edge. Pushing th buggy was hard work initially but getting out was really important for my physical and mental health. Can you have a rota of People to come round to go for a short walk with? They can then take over pushing the buggy if it gets too much. I had bad SPD befor th birth so walking ten minutes after the birth was exhausting but this nit be more to do with a compete la k of exercise before the birth rather than the section.
Picking up the baby might be difficult if you have a big baby and if that is th case then I would seriously consider moving in with your parents so they can pass th baby to you for feeding.
Hope tha helps. It is manageable and any discomfort is only for a couple of weeks before you start to feel more able to do things albeit taking it easy

AbbeyRoadCrossing Tue 16-Jun-15 14:33:51

I had an emcs but my recovery was easier than I expected too
Try and set yourself up on one floor if you can to minimise stairs.
Try to minimise lifting, e.g. get up to date with washing before you go in. Put a changing mat on a table / bed
Air the scar as much as possible. Luckily it's summer so you could wear a dress and roll your pants down a bit
Loose fitting clothes and nothing that will run the scar
I found the buggy OK but lifting it onto a bus etc very hard. I used a sling in the early days, but I know some cs women find that hard too.
You might be given blood thinning injections to go home with. You just stab them into a fleshy area, it's actually not too bad.
Keep taking pain relief even if you feel better. Drop the most powerful tablets first, don't stop the lot in one go.
I was told to stick to short showers rather than bath and try to keep the scar dry and clean
Good luck!

Number3cometome Tue 16-Jun-15 15:07:11

EMCS under a GA with DS1, recovered perfectly well.

ELCS with Spinal block with DD, was home in two days and absolutely fine.

ELCS due on 14th July (GA) with DS2 and absolutely looking forward to it!

Nothing to worry about at all, just don't push yourself too hard and keep your scar clean and dry.

Make sure you keep on top of paracetamol (every 4 hours) and you are not likely to even need anything else.
Paracetamol works well as an accumulative drug (not sure if that's even a term!) so take even if you don't immediately feel pain.

nazbiotics Wed 17-Jun-15 08:26:26

Thanks for replies. Loads of steps up to my flat so might be housebound for a little while as I understand steps/stairs are out to start with

Number3cometome Wed 17-Jun-15 08:27:35

Steps are fine, I lived in a third floor flat with no lift after my section and still got about grin

PuddlesandMuddles Wed 17-Jun-15 11:19:23

Supermarket food deliveries will be helpful, I found walking around a supermarket was just too far, but mine was a EMCS with an extra big E.

I'd cook some meals to freeze and get the house as clean as you can. If your parents or friends can come and help with some housework that would be great. You could reward housework with newborn baby cuddles smile

Don't be conned into people offering to "help with the baby", i.e. sit and cuddle your newborn while you run around serving them tea.

For nighttime feeds, a co-sleeper cot (mine was a babybay) was really helpful as dd was at the same level as me for picking up in the night. Having to reach down and lift would have been more difficult. Since your dp isn't there, you could even just put a Moses basket on the bed next to you, although I would perhaps push the edge of the bed against the wall so that the basket can't fall off.

When lifting baby, when possible, bring her/him to your body and then lift, instead of trying to lift at arms length.

By the time your lo is a month old, you'll have a thin sliver of a scar and you'll have forgotten all about it. Time flies in the early days!

Socalled Wed 17-Jun-15 11:27:58

Steps were fine for me - ELCS. Honestly, the procedure was perfectly pleasant and calm, and the recovery straightforward. I was up and walking and showering by seven hours or so afterwards. Keep taking the painkillers and don't overdo it. The only thing I found hard for a couple of weeks was stepping over the side of a bath (had an over-bath shower) and getting up from a low seat. A co-sleeper cot was a godsend, as I could just feed him where I was in bed.

jn367502 Wed 17-Jun-15 14:16:27

I had a emcs and my hubby went back to work 5 days later due to financial problems. I managed fine. I was super organised before having the baby by making sure i had everything set up. i had a changing mat upstairs and downstairs. just walk slowly if you have to go upstairs. I was surprised at how i adapted.

nazbiotics Sat 20-Jun-15 15:22:11

Anyone used those c-section pants things like mothercare ones?

BadgerFace Sat 20-Jun-15 17:50:55

I wouldn't bother spending the money personally. Any high wasted soft cotton pants should be comfy post-section (I used the Jojo Maman Bebe maternity briefs I'd worn through pregnancy which are only £12 for 3 pairs, those Mothercare ones look very expensive at £25 for 2 pairs!).

My section cut/scar was much lower than I realised it would be, right down by the pubic bone.

Just to add to the recovery stories I found my recovery surpringly fine after my EMCS and I think electives also tend to be better to recover from as it's all planned and the hospital will tell you what to eat/drink beforehand and you've not been up for 24 hours first!

Take things easier over your recovery and jn gives good advice about being organised and having changing items wherever you might need them!

Wishing you the best of luck and a calm birth and start with your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now