Talk

Advanced search

Tips on swollen feet and ankles

(8 Posts)
BurkeyBabyNo1 Tue 16-Jun-15 11:57:26

Hi ladies, I am 28 wks pregnant and and feet and ankles esp my left is starting to swell. Obvs I know this is normally in pregnancy but damn is it sore. Any tips?? I am still working full time, other than buying bigger shoes for work as nothing seems to fit or feel comfy, would you know of anything else I can do to ease it a little.

2015isgoingtobeBIG Tue 16-Jun-15 12:59:37

The best option may be the hardest-put your feet up/stay off your feet for as much of the day as possible. And drink loads and loads of water. This Will make the most difference but it will only be a temporary relief because as soon as you walk around again up till go. The heat will make it worse and you have my sympathy if they are also itchy...its a horrible itch.

This is all assuming you have had your blood pressure checked and there is no risk of preeclampsia.

Mulligrubs Tue 16-Jun-15 13:03:48

Get your blood pressure checked firstly. I don't mean to alarm you but one of the first symptoms of my rocketing BP was swollen ankles and feet. It started around 28 weeks. Some swelling is normal but always get it checked.

Keep your feet cool - I used to go on my breaks and spritz my feet with cold water outside. Keep off your feet and elevate them every chance you have. Every night I would run cold (as cold as I could stand) water over them in the shower. This all helped in the short term. Also avoiding socks that squish the feet.

Ahardmanisgoodtofind Tue 16-Jun-15 13:04:47

Im 36weeks having the same problem-I've had to buy new shoes today because I just can't squeeze my hoovesfeet into any of my shoes. I bought a cooling spray I think it's by mum and Me or bump and Me, i love it doesn't take the swelling away but does give me some relief.

CaveMum Tue 16-Jun-15 13:07:33

Doing exercises like circling your ankles and flexing your feet will help shift some of the fluid. At my antenatal class we were taught a leg message that helps draw some fluid away from the feet:

Sit on the floor with legs stretched out in front of you.
take your hands down to your feet (bend legs if you need to!) and stroke your hands quite firmly up your leg one after the other
Repeat for about 30 seconds
Bend your knee and bring your foot up towards your body as if you're going to cross your legs
Put your hand in your groin and massage in a circular motion for about 20 seconds
Repeat on the other leg

Doing that every evening really helped me keep on top of my swelling!

2015isgoingtobeBIG Tue 16-Jun-15 14:00:39

Oh yes. Forgot about the foot exercises. Basically point and flex your feet and circle your feet as often as you can when you're feet are up.

scarednoob Tue 16-Jun-15 14:11:43

me too - I normally have tiny little ankles, but by the end of the day, they look like balloons, and I'm only 24 weeks! they are back to being skinny when I get up in the morning, then slowly inflate throughout the day.

anyway, just wanted to add that the nhs website says to do the pointy feet thing 30 times in a row. I also get the other half to soak a towel in cold water and wrap them in that; it is blissful. clarins do a nice cooling foot cream too.

BurkeyBabyNo1 Tue 16-Jun-15 15:43:41

Thank you ladies. This is really helpful. And My BP is high for me but it's still within the normal parameters so they've not said anything to me yet. I'll give all your ideas a go. It's the raising and resting during the day I'll struggle with. My work although in an office, keeps me running from place to place. Hey ho! The joys of pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now