Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Toxoplasmosis test

(5 Posts)
milliemanzi Tue 16-Jun-15 10:18:51

Has anyone ever paid to have a toxoplasmosis immunity check before? If it's reasonable I think I'd like to get one! I'm pretty sure I must be immune after eating lots of bloody steaks and rare burgers in the past and would love to know for sure so I could carry on during pregnancy. Went to Paris in early pregnancy and it was torture!
I'm jealous of the French who get tested as standard!
So has anyone paid to have it done privately here?

goodnessgraciousgouda Tue 16-Jun-15 10:25:45

I'm in Lyon, so have to have it done as standard. I would say that even in France, where eating uncooked/raw meat is much more common, the majority of women are still not immune to toxo and have to have monthly checks.

I think the easiest way for you would be to speak to your doctor about where you could have a test done, and find an estimated price. Either that, or you could try looking for clinics that offer the test in your area.

goldenhen Tue 16-Jun-15 10:30:32

I asked my doctor for it (I'm in London) and she agreed, so I think it's probably at their discretion. Just say to your GP (or midwife?) that you have reason to believe you might have been exposed to it and you'd really like a test to put your mind at rest and to stop you worrying. Mine said "you're probably fine but if you'd feel better having one, that's fine" and gave me a form to take to my local blood clinic.

Emjones88 Tue 16-Jun-15 23:04:32

When I told my midwife I come in to contact with mud and poo (all sorts lol) lots at work she just offered me it. Not heard back tho....

Hophop987 Wed 17-Jun-15 00:26:36

ask your GP (not MW) and they should send you for a blood test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now