Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Almost 39 w. Should I be anxious to go out incase waters break ....

(11 Posts)
wowiesis111 Mon 15-Jun-15 21:15:21

As title says.
My waters went with my dc1 at 3 days late. I was in bed so luckily no embarrassment.
This time I have a two and half year old to amuse and as I feel a lot bigger I'm beginning to get a little anxious they will pop when I'm out. had a little bit of realisation after fiancé said to perhaps not go out and about so much in case.
Is anyone else airing on the side of caution and staying in or just carrying on as normal?

strawberrie Mon 15-Jun-15 21:19:03

Blimey, my waters didn't go until I was 40+12, I'd have gone crazy staying in just in case!

FWIW, that was the start of my labour first time round, and 2nd time they didn't go until half an hour or so before he was born.

While you might not want to venture miles and miles from home, I don't think you need to stay in. Unless you want to!

Iwillorderthefood Mon 15-Jun-15 21:19:41

I would not worry, these are the last few days with DC1. If they go, they go. You are pregnant, this is part and parcel of this, I would not be embarrassed.

Purpleboa Mon 15-Jun-15 21:31:41

I'm due tomorrow but still getting out and about! Went swimming today, even though I'd read that I wouldn't be able to tell if they broke while in the pool - err so what if they break in the shower/bath then? A friend recommended taking a change of underwear and clothes just in case. Perhaps I am just being too blase about it?

Whatabout Mon 15-Jun-15 21:44:25

Isn't there a statistic that most people's water does not go prior to labour / active labour? I'd carry on regardless

badg3r Mon 15-Jun-15 21:52:48

Put an extra pair of pants/leggings in your bag and a sanitary towel or two if you are worried, but don't sit around at home on your norman waiting to ruin your couch/carpets! There's no need to be embarrassed even if they do go while out, chances are hardly anyone will notice and even if they do you'll permeable never see them again anyway. Good luck with the last few weeks, hope all goes well!

S2b16 Mon 15-Jun-15 21:54:15

I'm mortified at the idea of my waters going in asda or something, dd1 the hospital broke my waters as part of the induction, dd2 they went with a gush as I climbed into bed....34 weeks with ds1 and although it is an embarrassing thought, you can't really live your life on "what ifs" esp with other dc.
Wear a maternity pad to help soak up if it makes you feel more comfortable but if they gush like mine did the pad would be little use blush. Would be a funny story to tell in future, don't worry x

MSMB Mon 15-Jun-15 22:20:50

I feel the same im 39+5 and a bit scared to venture too far from home. I have a huge fear of them gushing out all over the supermarket floor or something! It doesn't help that when I do go out I feel people stare as if I could pop at any time!!

wowiesis111 Mon 15-Jun-15 23:30:56

I have been getting a few funny looks too. I imagine they are thinking " blinking heck, she looks about to pop and is whizzing around those tesco isles with trolley and child like a woman possessed!shock
Ok I'll carry on venturing out and will pack some extra undies /trousers etc in case. I just worry as mine literally 'popped' last time. Luckily at home.
Good luck to you all. smile

HazleNutt Tue 16-Jun-15 10:05:09

Only about 15% of women have their waters breaking before active labour. I would not worry too much. And even if they do, well everybody has seen it in the movies, it's not like they will think you've just peed yourself.

Number3cometome Tue 16-Jun-15 10:55:32

It's all part of the fun 'will they go today?!'

Joking aside, unlikely to happen.

My waters had to be broken first time (after a long labour) and not much even came out.

Second time I didn't have a labour, and no waters breaking.

Currently 35+2 and not even a slight leak.

Carry on as normal or you'll go stir crazy.

I'm working up until 39 weeks and have an hour each way on the train commute, I think it would brighten up my commute should it happen ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now