Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Should I be worried about this headache?

(7 Posts)
Skeppers Mon 15-Jun-15 20:48:23

Currently 32 weeks. Saw the consultant on Friday; first appointment, purely routine. Blood pressure and urine checked and all fine. Since Sunday morning I've had a headache; not hugely severe, just a noticeable moderate pain behind my right eye/side of head. Nothing seems to be shifting it. I'm not dehydrated- been drinking plenty of water- no swelling, rib pain, visual disturbances or other symptoms of pre eclampsia, but the headache just won't budge and it's getting annoying. Baby is still kicking away! Do you think it's worth bothering the midwife, or maybe leave it a couple of days and see if the headache goes? Would I be OK to take a couple of paracetamol in the meantime? Thanks in advance.

Smartiepants79 Mon 15-Jun-15 20:53:08

Think a couple of paracetamol would be ok.
Maybe try and speak to someone over the phone tomorrow?

jorahmormont Mon 15-Jun-15 20:58:51

I think you'd be fine with a couple of paracetamol and just keeping an eye out for any more symptoms.

If you're still getting it tomorrow/the day after, give the midwife a ring. I had a few 'false starts' before I was taken in and induced for the real start of PE, and they were always more than happy to let me come in and just be on the monitor and blood pressure monitor for a couple of hours, to put minds at ease and to keep an eye on it.

Skeppers Mon 15-Jun-15 21:01:43

Thanks all.
If I wake up with it again tomorrow I'll have a chat with the midwife.

Weirdly, the headache seems to vanish when I eat, only to come back about 15 mins later! I'll try taking a couple of paracetamol rather than just continuously eating though...(as tempting as that sounds!)

Teeste Mon 15-Jun-15 21:25:10

I'm on strict PE-watch (at 39+4). The consultant said a PE headache was called a 'thunderclap' headache, occurs right behind your eyes/forehead and paracetamol won't touch it. So deffo have a couple of pills and see what happens.

FWIW I have constant neck and back-of-head-aches, just one of the joys of the third trimester I guess. FX for you!

Skiptonlass Tue 16-Jun-15 09:15:38

If it vanishes when you eat, could it be from tension in the jaw (tmj joint) ? Might be worth trying to relax the jaw/head/neck muscles?

Skeppers Tue 16-Jun-15 09:40:10

It did feel like a tension headache; I was convinced it was more in my neck than anything. The good news is that I woke up this morning and it's finally gone! Hurrah. I have a high pain threshold, but headaches (even mild ones) are the worst- I just can't tolerate them at all.

Thanks for all the advice! Glad I didn't pester the midwife after all...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now