Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ladies, I need your help!

(13 Posts)
Lemondrizzletwunt Sun 14-Jun-15 22:05:27

Kind ladies of the pregnancy board, help me!

I am 18 weeks pregnant and in Verona for work; it is swelteringly hot and humid, and my feet have swollen right up. This has never happened before, and other than putting them up I don't know if there's anything else I should be doing. It's both feet, so I don't think it's a DVT or anything, it's just so ugly and uncomfortable in the heat. Do you have any tips?

Sadly, my pregnancy / heat related problems don't end there today, oh no. In fact I think this one is worse. I was tubby before I got pregnant, and the tops of my thighs chafe now and again in hot weather. Couple this with the local humidity and the special <ahem> added humidity of the lady parts that only pregnancy can bring, and my comfy maternity jeans have chafed me almost clean away. What do I do? Work is v.full on, so doubtful I can get to a pharmacy tomorrow morning, but I have to do something because I have a 15 minute walk to work in this state! My current options seem to either walk like John Wayne or hire a taxi, neither or which will solve the problem, really.

So, do you have any home-remedies? I'm travelling light but have some moroccan oil, moisturiser and powder as well as some other bits and bobs...will any of these help me? Please say yes!

Hippymama1 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:15:49

You poor thing!

No suggestions for the feet unfortunately - I will me watching the thread for any suggestions though as I currently have sausage toes myself!

As far as the chafe goes, I would moisturise it this evening and sleep without PJs etc on to keep it nice and cool and then powder the chafe after your shower tomorrow morning to try to absorb moisture and stop it sticking together... Hope that helps!

mrsmilkymoo Sun 14-Jun-15 22:23:45

You have my sympathies as my feet became swollen at 18 weeks and gradually got worse. Had to buy sandals several sizes bigger. Raising them up on a pillow while I slept helped, as did massaging them. This became dh's job as i got bigger! A soak in cool water was also good. Oh and at work I'd sneak an ice pack on to my ankles. Don't think that would be practical for you right now though.

Lemondrizzletwunt Mon 15-Jun-15 06:05:28

Right, I have gone with no moisturise at all but slept frog-legged and have given my undercarriage a liberal dusting with powder before beginning my walk, so let's see how this goes. Feet are also looking better this morning but not sure how long that will last...

Bustherb Mon 15-Jun-15 06:11:44

I can totally sympathise with the feet swelling situation, my MW said the only thing you can do it put them up and drink lots and lots of water to try and flush it out. I did ask about soaking them in cold water etc but as its swelling caused by the lymph drainage I.e not because it's a broken foot or anything it won't bring the swelling down although I reckon it's really soothing. I've been suffering with really bad swelling for a couple weeks now but I'm nearly 37 weeks gone so I hope yours doesn't last too long xxx

Idefix Mon 15-Jun-15 06:32:13

This is too late to help the your walk today (hope it wasn't too uncomfortable). Would recommend maternity support tights - not at hot making as you might imagine!! They will stop the chaffing and help enourage good venous return that may help reduce the swelling in your ankles.

contractor6 Mon 15-Jun-15 07:16:00

Feet sweeping, I had this issue first day in Italy a few weeks ago. Was very hot and I walked around in trainers. Got back to hotel, raised feet up on all the pillows. Everyday after that wore flip flops and had no problems. Hope works for you. Re the chaffing can you take a soak in cool bath later?

Lemondrizzletwunt Mon 15-Jun-15 09:42:28

Thanks everyone for your good suggestions and sympathetic ears! Good news, I did the walk this morning without too much pain, it was cool enough that the powder seemed to work. I'm now sat with my feet up, and whilst the elevation hasn't cured it completely, it's definitely helping.

I've decided what I really need is Ryan Gosling for foot rubs and a sedan chair for easy movement. Can anyone facilitate this?

sianihedgehog Mon 15-Jun-15 09:46:33

Lanacane anti chafing gel or body glide anti chafing stick will help with the chafing when you can get to a pharmacy, try stick deodorant until then.

MistressKatherine Mon 15-Jun-15 10:29:04

Can't help you with bagging Ryan Gosling sadly. However, for feet swelling try bending your ankles around with your feet up for five minutes everyday. I also find a short and light 20 minute stroll helped but anything over that and it would make it go the other way. It gets the blood pumping round them. Lots of water too!

Good luck smile

FeelTheNoise Mon 15-Jun-15 14:30:48

I feel your pain! The tops of my thighs have rubbed raw a few times, and it's AWFUL! The only thing that has helped has been to wear panty liners hmm and to use skin balm to heal it while it's raw. The panty liners work preventative lay because my foof is more wet than usual, which causes the problem sad there really is no pat of me that is it's normal self at the moment

coneywonder Mon 15-Jun-15 15:18:54

I've not read the other posts but if you can buy some tights. Extra large ones. Cut off the leg bit so they are like cycle shorts and wear them with a long skirt!! It sounds mad but it helps.

Emz1989 Tue 16-Jun-15 02:32:11

Ohhhh chafing! Joyous!!
Try soaking your feet in salt water - something to do with it drawing out the fluid. Not sure of the science behind it, but it was recommended to me and seemed to help when elephant feet threatened to ruin a few days away when I was around 25weeks! Salt water and elevation whenever possible!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now